• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elegant/Lesser crested tern (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
I recently realised I have taken a much better photo of the bird yesterday. What I find interesting is the absolutely MASSIVE dagger-shaped yellow bill the tern has (compare to surrounding terns, also to the bill of a confirmed elegant from the same meter or so of area: Elegant Tern (Thalasseus elegans)). As a reminder, it occured in an area where 2 elegant terns were reported, and one of them has been confirmed from my photos, but others think it may be lesser crested (a 3rd rarity for the 15th April would be amazing if so...). The bird my photos show appears to be an immature.
Tern.JPG

The bird in the photo you post here and the bird on the iNat link both have a weird long narrow bill, like elegant tern and unlike lesser crested tern.
I don't know what ID point you're making here.
The bird my photos show appears to be an immature
I can't see any reason to think that.

It would have been better if you'd posted this in your previous thread in order to keep all this together and be less confusing. Can you at least please give a link to that earlier thread?
Note that every ID thread you start should include date and full location information.

Bill shape better for elegant tern. If it were of critical importance (in some sense) I'd look to better photos before committing
Best as it can get, I'm afraid. As far as I know, this is the best photo anyone has taken of that particular 'half-bald' bird this time around. Elegant tern would be a better explanation, I agree. Lesser crested is bordering on too rare to infer it as the best explanation.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back