• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Rambling Brambling (1 Viewer)

AnnieW

We had a particularly large (40ish) group of chaffinches feeding on the ground in the late afternoon yesterday. I wasn't really paying attention, so it took a while to twig that one of them wasn't just a slightly unusual chaffinch but an interloper in the shape of a Brambling. I've not seen one in the garden before; he meandered around for about half an hour, looking slightly bedraggled in the rain, but enjoying the sunflower seeds nontheless. I've been away most of today, so not sure if this was a one off visit. Managed a couple of shots through a rainstreaked window !

I'm now waiting for Elizabeth to send me over a matching Redpoll !!

Attachments

• Brambling.jpg
    Brambling.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Hi Annie,

They are certainly beautiful birds....

Only seen Brambling on a couple of occasions this year, but the 2nd time was lucky enough to see a large flock, beautifully lit in bright sunshine - quite an experience. Went back the following day to try to get some pics, but (of course) they weren't there any more....

Always nice to see. Earlier in the winter there seemed to be fewer about but lately I've seen quite a few.

Annie

I've only ever had a Brambling in the garden on one occasion, several years ago at about this time of year - and that, too was a rather bedraggled male which had dropped in briefly because of the heavy rain.

AnnieW said:
I'm now waiting for Elizabeth to send me over a matching Redpoll !!

So that's where my brambling went - only saw him that one time, on March 12th! And talking of redpolls - keep you eyes wide open, I haven't seen my three for several days! :eek!:

Adey Baker said:
Annie

I've only ever had a Brambling in the garden on one occasion, several years ago at about this time of year - and that, too was a rather bedraggled male which had dropped in briefly because of the heavy rain.
He returned again this morning with a lady friend !! Not sure how long they stayed, as I unfortunatley had to go to work (I didn't think brambling watching as an excuse, would hold much water when it came to explaining why I was late for a meeting I was due to chair !!)

Annie

Elizabeth Bigg said:
... And talking of redpolls - keep you eyes wide open, I haven't seen my three for several days! :eek!:
Well as of 14:39, Monday 22 March, they haven't turned up in Cheltenham yet. But I guess it's a little way from Surrey, even as the redpoll flies ... I wait in hope ;)

Annie

AnnieW said:
Well as of 14:39, Monday 22 March, they haven't turned up in Cheltenham yet. But I guess it's a little way from Surrey, even as the redpoll flies ... I wait in hope ;)

Annie

If they fly in a stright line, it's around 80 miles - don't think you need to put out the welcome mat just yet!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back