• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seed-finch/Seedeater: South Pacific coastal lowlands, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

C B Allen

Chris Allen
I was just reviewing the photos I'd added to my eBird lists for our trip to Costa Rica in April 2022 and worry that I've labelled one incorrectly. This bird was in low vegetation bordering an uncultivated field along the access road to La Gamba Rain Forest Lodge, about 15km north of Golfito in Puntarenas province.

We had already seen several Thick-billed Seed-finches earlier the same day & I'd photographed a male & female separately (we had also seen Variable, Ruddy-breasted & Morelet's Seedeaters in the same area). At the time we recorded this bird as another male Thick-billed Seed-finch but looking at it now it just looks wrong. To my mind it looks too slight and the bill too weak for Thick-billed - to the point that I'm having problems seeing it as anything other than Variable Seedeater. But if so it must be an individual typical of the Caribbean slope and not the typical Pacific form.

So, any other ideas or is it not unusual/unknown to get the all dark Caribbean race of Variable this far West? Or am I just over thinking this. Not great photos but the best I have!

Attachments

• P4241133_DxO.jpg
    P4241133_DxO.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • P4241127_DxO.jpg
    P4241127_DxO.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 7
Variable for me: for the reasons you say. Bill completely wrong for the other species. Vallely & Dyer say the black form is "widespread"

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back