• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focusing problem with 1Dx 300mm f/2.8 IS II 2xTC III combo (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
Hi

I have started using the Canon 1Dx, 300mm f/2.8 IS II and 2xTC III combo and encountered problem shooting bird in flight using all focus points.

For flight shots, I usually pre-set my focusing distance to 20 meters. When the subject appears and I get a blurry image on the viewfinder, the image will go missing when I press the shutter to focus. When I checked my lens, I found the focusing distance was automatically set to 5 meters which explained why I totally lost the bird on my viewfinder when I press the shutter to focus.

Strange enough, I do not encounter this focusing problem when I use 9-focusing points. If I remove the 2x TC, I have no problem focusing with all focus points for flight shots.

Wonder anyone out there using the same combo as me encounter the same focusing problem when using all focus points for flight shots with the 2x TC?

Regards

See Toh

I use a 1DX with the Mk1 300 F2.8 and find the focusing (with the 2 x Mk3) very accurate. It will slow down in poor light so I tend to use this combination when the light is reasonable to good with moving subjects. Unfortunately I rarely (if ever) us all AF points so I cannot comment on your problem.

I normally use center point AF with 4 AF point expansion for BIF, seems to work pretty well with a variety of lenses.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back