• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus vs Nikon (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello everyone.

important disclaimer: i am an Olympus fangirl, was and will always be.

i got some unexpected dividend from my share holding. it was just perfect to think of new photography equipment, thought of the new OM1, but frankly i did not find that it will be a major upgrade from my already super fast OMd1 mark III. the cash is not enough for the white lens, but its just right for the new nikkor z100-400mm f5.6, thought it would be nice with the z50 that i don't have a lens for it after selling the 200-500 mm.
Here are my thoughts

1- the lens is very light, and it goes without saying very sharp even at wide opne at the 400 mm end., maybe not as sharp as the 200-500mm + any of the dslr i used (d7200 and d810).
2- the IS is so wonderful for stills, but in videos there are some micro getters (hope i say it right), but i think it can be fixed in any firmware update.
3- the combo of z50 + this lens is really fun to use if you can live with the long wakeup time of the camera.
4- did not find or maybe did not search enough for you tube videos that explain focusing modes so did not use it for bird in flight, which is always a weak point for me anyway.

what do i think of this combo against any of my Olympus gear.

1- Olympus OM d mark III + Zuiko 300 mmf4, this combo gives the same reach, but i think its not fair to compare this camera with the z50, as Olympus will win easily, as its way fast and the in sync IS is waaaaaay better. i like the light meter readings in Olympus generally, colors of Olympus are rally wonderful and so is Nikon, and that is a matter of personal taste. but in weight the Nikon combo is lighter, and here again, not fair to compare zoom with prime.

2- Olympus OM d mark III + Zuiko 100-400 mm f63. yes this combo gives more reach, but less light gathering which means you have to use more ISO on the smaller sensor, as this combo do not have in sync IBIS, and if you left both IBIS and lens IS on, as recommended you will get 3 or 4 stops of stabilization. it works very well in stills but not good enough for videos, compared even to the old zuiko 75-300mm II which dose not have any IS. so for video the point goes for Nikon combo. but for stills the point goes for Olympus.

3- Olympus OM d5 mark II + Zuiko 100-400mm f6.3, the stills are really fabulous specially in good light, but the videos are really not useable. once again Nikon combo get the point for videos, for still here not fair to compare 16mp 6 years old sensor with those new ones, but one can really get nice results form the Olympus.

finally any draw back of the Nikon combo is from the slow z50, so i think any new crop sensor z camera will be a real challenge for Olympus as a compact system for wildlife.

major issue in Nikon combo, the lens is a bit too expensive, if you ask me weather to go for the z100-400 mm 5.6 or the old 200-500 mm f5.6 with an adaptor, i would recommend the old one, as it is more value for money. yes the new lens is more advance with 3 fn buttons and focusing button close the the MF ring and its much lighter, but still does not justify to be 2.700 USD.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back