• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on new kit (1 Viewer)

Neil-T

Moorlands Macro: Close up and personal....with bug
Decided to start again from scratch after being made redundant and selling all my previous gear. I am now in the market for:

Canon 7D Body
400mm f/5.6L
70-200mm f/4L
1.4 Canon TC MK2

I want to try and get all of the above from one place if possible.
Who would you recommend?
I have some of you say that there is guy on here who gets Canon gear a bit cheaper, but would he be able to get all of the above. I have checked on hdewcameras.com in Surrey and they all of the above in stock on their website, has anyone used these people and are they OK? Thanks in advance.
Neil.

Decided to start again from scratch after being made redundant and selling all my previous gear. I am now in the market for:

Canon 7D Body
400mm f/5.6L
70-200mm f/4L
1.4 Canon TC MK2

I want to try and get all of the above from one place if possible.
Who would you recommend?
I have some of you say that there is guy on here who gets Canon gear a bit cheaper, but would he be able to get all of the above. I have checked on hdewcameras.com in Surrey and they all of the above in stock on their website, has anyone used these people and are they OK? Thanks in advance.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

The guy is Kerso....he imports from the states but provides a worldwide warranty so it is covered in the UK. He'll be able to get all the above and beat any UK shop price. Iv'e used Kerso as have many other photographers and I have seen no bad press what so ever only praise.....which when you consider he must have done over a 1000 deals is pretty damn good.

The other option you have is second hand.

I've used Kerso on a couple of occassions with no problems at all. However I'm not sure I'd buy an imported body, the lenses all come with an international warranty but it is less clear as to whether the bodies do. If buying in the UK I'd recommend my local camera shop, they are good people to deal with and are competitively priced, I suspect they'd do a deal on that kit. http://norfolkcameracentre.co.uk/

For the kit you're looking at, if Kerso can't do the deal, I would SERIOUSLY look at a cheap flight to New York and visit B&H Photo... [click on link].

They are VERY price-competetive, even though they are downtown New York, with prices, and specs, way better than the UK - and you get a quickie vacation thrown in as well!

(By "specs" I mean that US lens kit generally comes with both a Hood & Tripod collar thrown-in. In the UK - they are pay-for extras... All needs to be taken into account...)

For the kit you're looking at, if Kerso can't do the deal, I would SERIOUSLY look at a cheap flight to New York and visit B&H Photo... [click on link].

They are VERY price-competetive, even though they are downtown New York, with prices, and specs, way better than the UK - and you get a quickie vacation thrown in as well!

(By "specs" I mean that US lens kit generally comes with both a Hood & Tripod collar thrown-in. In the UK - they are pay-for extras... All needs to be taken into account...)

Not disputing that the prices may work out cheaper but the 400 f5.6 comes with the hood built in and the tripod mount and my 700-200 f4 purchased from Jessops came with the hood so I'm not sure that is a valid reason for buying from the states. I'd also check carefully what Postcardcv said about imported bodies. I'm pretty certain that at the time of the 1d mkIII recalls Canon made a special case of that body and allowed grey imports to be fixed at Elstree which may mean they don't normally .

Last edited:
Not disputing that the prices may work out cheaper but the 400 f5.6 comes with the hood built in and the tripod mount and my 700-200 f4 purchased from Jessops came with the hood so I'm not sure that is a valid reason for buying from the states. I'd also check carefully what Postcardcv said about imported bodies. I'm pretty certain that at the time of the 1d mkIII recalls Canon made a special case of that body and allowed grey imports to be fixed at Elstree which may mean they don't normally .

You are, of course, quite right about the built-in hood for the 400 f/5.6 - apologies... But the "generality" remains that you need to check the specs quite carefully to ensure you're comparing apples with apples. My 70-200 f/4 did NOT come with either a hood or collar; that's when I learnt my lesson about different specs!

That aside, B&H "should" wallop UK prices - and they are highly recommended...

You are, of course, quite right about the built-in hood for the 400 f/5.6 - apologies... But the "generality" remains that you need to check the specs quite carefully to ensure you're comparing apples with apples. My 70-200 f/4 did NOT come with either a hood or collar; that's when I learnt my lesson about different specs!

That aside, B&H "should" wallop UK prices - and they are highly recommended...
The 400/5.6 collar fits the 70-200/4 also it should come with a Canon ET-74 hood (at least it will from any reputable UK supplier).
The only way you can save a lot is if you do not pay vat or import duty which would be breaking the law and surely no one would advocate that!
The 7D is $1699 at B & H, I believe there is a local tax to pay on top of this at around 7% which brings it to around £1104, if you add vat and import tax it makes it more expensive than the UK prices and you do not get a UK warranty.

Last edited:

I Thought the 70-200 f4 did come with a hood in the UK but not a collar (I'm sure mine did). As for B&H prices, they may look better on the surface, but by the time you add import duty and VAT there'll be a lot less in it.

I bought my 70-200 F4 IS from Kerso and it did indeed come with a hood, back then I paid £595 postage included in the price.

Thanks a lort guys for your speedy responses. All the above at WE would come to £3052. I will give Kerso a try. Neil.

Just a quick update and a big thanks to you guys who recommended Ian, (kerso) he has got me a great deal on all of the kit. Regards. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back