• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm sad today (1 Viewer)

Raptor 01

I'm sad today, of the two House Martins nests under the eaves of my roof only one nest appears to be occupied this year. The nest is whole and has been used for 11 years, obviously It's been repaired a few times during that period. That means one or both birds have probably perished on their journey back to southern Africa at the end of the breeding season 2011 or on the return journey this year. Three quarters of the other nest broke away when the birds returned this year but they are busily rebuilding it and are about half way to completion. I was out in the garden drinking a very nice Hobgoblin ale at lunch time and did notice one bird took a look at the unoccupied nest so I'm hoping another pair will take up residence. On a lighter note, the House Martin population in my area seems to have increased this year.

Geoff.

I feel your sadness. |=(| I would have felt just the same but what good news that the House Martins in your area have increased. I really hope that you will have new residents to enjoy. Bet these birds don't realise how important they are to some of us?!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back