• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The intriguing Sand martin nesting site saga (1 Viewer)

greer3

United Kingdom
The intriguing saga of an undisclosed Sand martin nesting site continues. Several years ago the Environmental Agency accidentally created a marvellous nesting site , leaving a large mound of spoils following works they were carrying out. Inexplicably they then flattened it, only for them to create yet another suitable habitat after completing further work. There's now 14 newly created nest holes and several Sand martin visiting.
I'm on the case and will be in touch with the Environmental Agency to make sure they don't bulldoze it again.
Strangely, when I first noticed the newly excavated holes yesterday, there was not one Sand martin to be seen. The reason? A Merlin was perched on top of the mound, no doubt waiting for a returning birds. They'd obviously got the message and stayed away.
Tonight the Merlin had gone and the Sand martins were back in force.
I've witnessed such behaviour before. Staying at a hotel in Cuba, a Merlin would wait patiently for bats to appear - from the roof of the entertainment pavilion. Like clockwork the bats would emerge the same time every night and then the Merlin would pounce.
It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back