• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tricky birds Angola (1 Viewer)

stavrouchris

Hi all
I am finding these very difficult.
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Attachments

• Bird 1.jpg
    Bird 1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Bird 2.jpg
    Bird 2.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Bird 3b.jpg
    Bird 3b.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Bird 3c.jpg
    Bird 3c.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Bird 4.jpg
    Bird 4.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 67
Hi all
I am finding these very difficult.
Cheers

Your not alone stavrouchris ;)...FWIW I'm looking at images 3 and 4...and feel that one might be forgiven...for suggesting Oenanthe moesta...but am unsure that they range that far South?

Cheers

Hello

Unfortunately haven't got my Birds of Africa field guide with me, but best I can do without it is this:

1. Eremomela sp. It would help to know where in Angola these were taken.
2. Dusky Lark?
3,4. Looks like a Familiar Chat
5. Is a juv. waxbill/mannikin. Leaning towards Mannikin, but not sure about species...

Hope this is some help

Sorry, I forgot to mention area and habitat.
They were taken just north of Lobito on coastal waste-land with few scattered trees.

I also had 1 as Yellow-bellied Eremomela.
I have seen Sabota larks in the area before but that one looked very strange.
3 also suspected Familiar Chat.
4 still s mystery?

Oh and what about this one still troubling me? taken in the same area.

Cheers

Attachments

• bird 5a.jpg
    bird 5a.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Bird 5b.jpg
    Bird 5b.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 30
Hi Chris,

Tricky IDs indeed and as I have yet to visit Angola I am afraid I won't be of much help.

The lark has me stumped! The very white pattern of the greater and median coverts reminds me of only one other species of lark: Barlow's lark. But we are way out of range and the rest of the bird doesn't fit. Perhaps it's just a Sabota/Bradfield's as Valéry suggests, but it does not look right to me, though it may just be because of the way the bird is posing. Any more pics?
Try to send a private message to Trevor Hardaker (BF member) and ask him to answer in the thread please, as I am curious to know what he will come up with.

The last bird is either a juv Firefinch or a juv Waxbill. More pics would help, but even then I am not sure anyone will be able to give you a positive ID. Very difficult birds in juv plumage!

Edit: No pic attached in your last post!

Tib,

The lark has me stumped! The very white pattern of the greater and median coverts

I check in bird books, no lark is supposed to have such wing bars. So I decided to "forget" that detail, and it is how I found Sabota/Bradfield's the least unlikely, thus I'm far to be sure, hence the question mark...

I think thare is some confusion with the numbering. Pictures 3 & 4 are the same bird (familiar)
pic 5 is a mannikin

but the next 2 pics? also familiar chat?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back