• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glis glis in nest boxes (1 Viewer)

Torchepot

United Kingdom
I posted a couple of cute videos of Edible Dormice today on BF TV and there's a link to one of them on Vimeo below.

https://vimeo.com/238191742

I was hoping that they might discover the nestboxes but now I'm not so sure. Apart from their obsessive compulsion to enlarge the entrance holes I'm worried about possible conflicts (including egg predation) with nesting birds next spring. Anyone know if eggs are on their menu?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil

We have nestboxes for Semi-collared Flycatcher in my local forest and when ringing we actively remove and re-locate any Forest Dormice (Dryomys nitedula) we find. They predate on the birds - especially the brain apparently! Ican't speak for Edible Dormouse but suspect it might have similar tendencies!

HTH

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back