• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 12x36 Is ii Lens Caps (1 Viewer)

narawood

There is something not right wrong with me!!!
I'm looking for lens caps for the ocular and objective lenses, I would prefer a design that can be left attached to the bins (or the lanyard).

I think I would prefer the type of caps that are linked together using a rubber bridge or similar (maybe flip-ups are an option), but I'm open to any suggestions.

The 12x36s do not come with objective lens caps and the ocular caps are ....well... really cheap bits of plastic that I expect to lose very quickly.

If someone can recommend lens protection that won't be easily misplaced or lost, and also prove practical and functional in use, then I would be grateful. Oh! and where can I purchase them, I'm also open to 'home spun' ideas.

Thanks for any replies, I love thes binos and want to give them a little extra protection.

Last edited:
I'm looking for lens caps for the ocular and objective lenses, I would prefer a design that can be left attached to the bins (or the lanyard).

I think I would prefer the type of caps that are linked together using a rubber bridge or similar (maybe flip-ups are an option), but I'm open to any suggestions.

The 12x36s do not come with objective lens caps and the ocular caps are ....well... really cheap bits of plastic that I expect to lose very quickly.

If someone can recommend lens protection that won't be easily misplaced or lost, and also prove practical and functional in use, then I would be grateful. Oh! and where can I purchase them, I'm also open to 'home spun' ideas.

Thanks for any replies, I love thes binos and want to give them a little extra protection.

Measure your objective lens and get these Bushwackers from Eagle Optics. They work the best of any I have tried on the Canon.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/quake/bushwacker-binooptic-size-5-lens-cover.
Eagle Optics also has different types of rainguards for your oculars. Again measure to see what size you need. I prefer these.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/vortex/vortex-binocular-rainguard

I just noticed your in Scotland! I am not sure if Eagle Optics ships to Scotland. Look for the Bushwackers in your location. Guess they don't.
"Eagle Optics does not ship any orders overseas. If you live outside the United States, its territories, or Canada, you may purchase goods via electronic funds transfer and have them shipped to a business or residential address in the United States. For funds transfer information and other inquiries about international orders, please call our professional sales staff at 800-289-1132 or email [email protected]."

Last edited:
Measure your objective lens and get these Bushwackers from Eagle Optics. They work the best of any I have tried on the Canon.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/quake/bushwacker-binooptic-size-5-lens-cover.
Eagle Optics also has different types of rainguards for your oculars. Again measure to see what size you need. I prefer these.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/vortex/vortex-binocular-rainguard

Thank you Dennis, these look ideal, so far I cannot find the items here in the UK (perhaps someone out there knows of a UK supplier).

I really appreciate your reply, just what I was looking for.
Kind Regards,
John :t:

Thank you Dennis, these look ideal, so far I cannot find the items here in the UK (perhaps someone out there knows of a UK supplier).

I really appreciate your reply, just what I was looking for.
Kind Regards,
John :t:

Try this link to E-bay UK. It looks like one supplier has them in various sizes.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_...hwacker+lens+covers&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Try this link to E-bay UK. It looks like one supplier has them in various sizes.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_...hwacker+lens+covers&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Dennis, I have ordered the objective lens covers from the link you kindly provided; as yet I have not been able to source the guards for the oculars (the caps that came with the binoculars will have to suffice until I find a supplier).

The seller associated with the link that you provided appears to have made a miscalculation re imperial to metric conversion, seller states "Size 7 should fit most scopes that measure 2.20 - 2.45 inches . The inside measurement of the scope cap is roughly 52mm . If you are going to measure your scope , be sure you measure the outside diameter ."

By my calculations 2.2in = 55.88mm & 2.45in = 62.23mm, the objective lens rubber casing on the 12x36 is by my measurement 57mm, (Eagle Optics imperial measurements concur with the ebay sellers imperial measurements), on that similarity I ordered the size 7 caps.

I will confirm when the caps arrive if they are the correct fit or not for the benefit of other would be purchasers, (though I won't be surprised if I've messed up somewhere :-O).

Thanks again Dennis for your kind help.
Regards,
John

I bought and use a set of Nikon LX 8x40(ish) roof rainguard that fit perfectly over the rolled down eyecups of my 10x30 IS (I think the ocular mechanical designs are similar to the 12x36). They're quite deep and have a perfect "won't fall off" loose fit but can be flicked off very quickly when raised to the eye.

That bin was called something else in Europe (Nikon Venturer?) but Nikon spare parts should be able to sell you the part.

Dennis, I have ordered the objective lens covers from the link you kindly provided; as yet I have not been able to source the guards for the oculars (the caps that came with the binoculars will have to suffice until I find a supplier).

The seller associated with the link that you provided appears to have made a miscalculation re imperial to metric conversion, seller states "Size 7 should fit most scopes that measure 2.20 - 2.45 inches . The inside measurement of the scope cap is roughly 52mm . If you are going to measure your scope , be sure you measure the outside diameter ."

By my calculations 2.2in = 55.88mm & 2.45in = 62.23mm, the objective lens rubber casing on the 12x36 is by my measurement 57mm, (Eagle Optics imperial measurements concur with the ebay sellers imperial measurements), on that similarity I ordered the size 7 caps.

I will confirm when the caps arrive if they are the correct fit or not for the benefit of other would be purchasers, (though I won't be surprised if I've messed up somewhere :-O).

Thanks again Dennis for your kind help.
Regards,
John

Let me know if they fit. Glad I could help.

Kevin,

I have not as yet been able to find info on the guard that you refer to, should I find it I would like to compare it to the guard that Dennis suggested (the Vortex).
When I look at manufacturer's\sellers specification for ocular guards, information is limited to terms such as “ fits most mid-size or full-size binoculars”; no actual measurements are provided.

To be honest, I do not even know if the 12x36 Canon is a mid-size or full-size bino, this makes ordering on-line something of a guessing game, or maybe it's just me missing something obvious.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will trawl the net some more and hopefully find the info on the Nikon's.

Regards
John

Last edited:
The oculars are quite slender. It's closer to mid-size than full-size. Most of the regular rubbery rainguards are too big and too shallow. Like this one

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular-accessories/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-binocular-rainguard

I recall the Stokes bin had similar looking rain-guard to the one I use when I tried one out (but I've not tried it on a Canon IS bin).

Ah, this one

Email Eagle Optics and ask for the dimensions of it!

Kevin,

I have not as yet been able to find info on the guard that you refer to, should I find it I would like to compare it to the guard that Dennis suggested (the Vortex).
When I look at manufacturer's\sellers specification for ocular guards, information is limited to terms such as “ fits most mid-size or full-size binoculars”; no actual measurements are provided.

To be honest, I do not even know if the 12x36 Canon is a mid-size or full-size bino, this makes ordering on-line something of a guessing game, or maybe it's just me missing something obvious.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will trawl the net some more and hopefully find the info on the Nikon's.

Regards
John

Hi John, I don´t know if I´ve mentioned this to you before, but I have Canon IS 12x36 and 10x30 binos, and use the rubber ocular-guard from 10x42 Bressers that are occasionally sold in Lidl. They fit perfectly, snug but not too tight, and don´t interfere with viewing. The Bresser bins cost about 15 euro each, but I use the bags too, and give away the binoculars.

To Dennis, Kevin & Sancho,

Dennis, the Bushwacker's objective flip-ups arrived today and are a perfect fit (size 7 for the 12x36), I am delighted with the guards, so much so that I will try to find if they are available to fit the Nikon ED50 & ED82.
I purchased them from the link that you provided, (for anyone who is interested here is the link to the ebay seller - http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/magicdragons-treasure-cavern__W0QQ_armrsZ1), I would buy from them again without hesitation.
Thanks Dennis.

Kevin, I did not find a UK supplier for the ocular guards you recommended, I probably would have gone for the Vortex, but it seems that Sancho has provided a fix that pre-empts a purchase, thank you non-the-less Dennis.

Sancho, I had forgotten that I had purchased 3 sets of the Bressers that you refer to, come Monday I will try the ocular guards on the Canon's, I'm sure they will fit as you say, that's me sorted. May your thirst for more binoculars never cease (but always be quenched), Slean Agut.

Thank you all for all your kind help, may I wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a Wonderful New Year.

John

Last edited:
Sancho, I had forgotten that I had purchased 3 sets of the Bressers that you refer to, come Monday I will try the ocular guards on the Canon's, I'm sure they will fit as you say, that's me sorted. May your thirst for more binoculars never cease (but always be quenched), Slean Agut.

John
Good luck with those guards, John...Slán agus Beannacht!:t:

To Dennis, Kevin & Sancho,

Dennis, the Bushwacker's objective flip-ups arrived today and are a perfect fit (size 7 for the 12x36), I am delighted with the guards, so much so that I will try to find if they are available to fit the Nikon ED50 & ED82.
I purchased them from the link that you provided, (for anyone who is interested here is the link to the ebay seller - http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/magicdragons-treasure-cavern__W0QQ_armrsZ1), I would buy from them again without hesitation.
Thanks Dennis.

Kevin, I did not find a UK supplier for the ocular guards you recommended, I probably would have gone for the Vortex, but it seems that Sancho has provided a fix that pre-empts a purchase, thank you non-the-less Dennis.

Thank you all for all your kind help, may I wish you all a very Happy Christmas and a Wonderful New Year.

John

No problem! Glad I could help. When I had the Canon 12x36 II IS binoculars I used the Bushwackers and I really liked them. They fit nicely and really protect your objective lens. The Canon 12x36 II IS were my favorite Canons and I had the 8x25 and the 10x30's.

Reviving this old thread as I had the same issue and found it helpful in locating covers. I did end up ordering size 7 bushwackers and waiting for them - hoping they will fit. The inexpensive Bressers mentioned are no longer available so couldn't order them to "steal" ocular covers from them. I did try ordering a set of vortex for the oculars but they were to big so returned them. Not easy to locate the Vortex in a size that fits.

I found that Canon will sell you the replacement ocular covers though at $1.30 each US. So ordered 4 :) I should have them in a few days as they ship out of New Jersey and I am in Eastern PA.

Call Canon parts in the US, they are located in Jamesburg, NJ:

(866) 481-2569 between 9 am and 7 pm (ET), Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).

Hope this helps folks.

Funny I mentioned the absence of objective lens covers and the person I talked to was very familiar. She said she had talked to the product folks on previous occaiison as she also thought it weird that Canon provided ocular covers but not objectives. Product folks told here they were not necessary as when you remove the binoculars from the case "they aren't necessary". Odd response - shame they don't get it.

Here's the Canon part number for the replacement ocular covers for the 12x36 IS II -

Last edited:
Here's the Canon part number for the replacement ocular covers for the 12x36 IS II - YA7-0715-000 CAP, DUST

Also the Bushwacker #7 fit perfectly!!

One more bump on this thread to revive it.

I believe these Vortex Flip Cap Cover (size 7) from Eagle Optics are the same as the Bushwackers #7 and I will be ordering these shortly.

I have a Vortex Viper HD 8x32 that has the Vortex Binocular Rainguard that E.O. sells as well and so I tried it on the Canon 12x36 IS IIs and they do sort of fit when the eyecups are unrolled/in the up position but just barely stay put. They simply fall off if these same eyecups are rolled down.

And aesthetically they look very funky, like a hat that is too big for your head. The slender oculars would do better if someone designed a tethered/connected set of rainguards, but this will do since the Vortexes are spare for me and I can find no other good options.

Just adding more information FYI.

Vortex Flip Cap Covers Size #7 are Bushwacker #7s

One more bump on this thread to revive it.

I believe these Vortex Flip Cap Cover (size 7) from Eagle Optics are the same as the Bushwackers #7 and I will be ordering these shortly.

Just got the Vortex Flip Cap Covers Size #7 from Eagle Optics and they are indeed OEM'd Bushwackers (still says so in the rubber collar, even though the Vortex logo is on the cover). For about $8 each, this is not a bad investment to protect these Canons.

The covers each have a plastic ring (not documented anywhere) that slips inside a groove within the collar, giving it some added structure, but also keeping the ocular armor from sliding too far forward. They slide firmly over the objectives and snap shut, protecting it well enough.

Yes, installed they are a little thick looking, giving the already odd looking 12x36's an "aftermarket look" with the lightly pebbled black rubber of the collar not matching well with the smooth green armor of the Canons.

But if I was looking strictly for aesthetics, these Canon's would not be high on my list. ;)

But I really am appreciating the IS function each time I use them and now, with these caps, have more comfort knowing that I can leave the odd-looking Canon bag at home while still keeping the objectives protected.

re: Lenscaps

Aluminum Lens Caps for your CANON 12x36 IS Binoculars.
Precision turned. Perfect Fit. Binos will fit in case with caps on.
Solar filter versions available.
US $49.00/pair…(includes shipping)
Paypal or email transfer only.

Jeff Collinson
[email protected]
PO Box.147,
Arthur, Ontario.
N0G 1A0

Attachments

• Canon12X36_caps_3c.jpg
    Canon12X36_caps_3c.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back