• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo..Need advices. (1 Viewer)

Mr9000

Hi there

Im a Dane currently living in Kota Kinabalu. Im a novice in this field but ecxited to explore the birds of Sabah. Tomorrow I am goint to Sugud Forest Reserve near KK trying to spot for Diards Trogon and Red-crowned Barbet. Anyone who has been there and can give so advice about tactics and good hide-outs?

Next weekend I am going to Kinabalu Park with my family. Having two days to go birding early morning in the park gives me hope of finding magpies, green broadbill and hopefully Trogons, as they are my favourites so far. Many of these would be lifers for me, so if anyone has any advice on trails to go for and time of the day would be splended. I have heard that the area around the Power Station early morning is quite good regarding bird activity, but again, there are so many trials and I dont wanna be stuck somewhere hopeless because of my lack of knowledge..

I sencirely hope anyone will provide me some good tips and advices on birding in Sugud and Kinabalu Park/Poring..

Thanks.

Jakob:t:

Silau Silau trail is a reliable spot for Whitehead's Trogon and you're a chance of Whitehead's Broadbill too. Also at the upper part of that trail I've often heard Bornean Stubtail and Red-breasted & Crimson-headed Partridges (familiarize yourself with the calls available on xeno-canto.org).

Further down the trail I've seen Short-tailed Green Magpie, and along the stream you're likely to see Bornean Whistling Thrush & Bornean Forktail, listen for the high-pitched alarm calls.

Kinabalu Park is an amazing place for birds, with dozens of spectacular species easily found by simply walking around on the roads too - wish I was going - have fun!

Marc Anderson
Sydney, Australia
http://wildambience.com
http://marcanderson.com.au

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back