• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cardinalis Cardinalis- Quicktime video (1 Viewer)

alarson2

The Village Vidiot
That's the only scientific name I can remember, Cardinalis cardinalis.

Do cardinals eat suet? I would have said no before Monday. But for some reason, the card family was all over the suet block the other day. Males as well as females. I only caught one female on tape but they all enjoyed it. Storing in extra calories for the egging business coming up I reckon. The first few seconds of this tape is a mockingbird who gets all puffed up and then carefully moves off the feeder with a big hunk of suet-to-go. Cute. The rest is all cardinals. This viddie (to borrow a word from Amelia) is 3 minutes @ 6mb. Please enjoy.

I forgot to mention the male cardinal in the beginning is doing some, I guess, mating behavior with the quivering wings. See what you can make of it. I have seen males, females and babies doing this but before it was only while there was feeding going on. This may be a yearling male who is in a subordinate position in the family- Heck- I don't know. So much to see and learn.

iMovie

Last edited:
Another nice viddie. I didn't even read the total post before I went to have a looksee. I thought the same thing you did about the wing fluttering. Could be who knows. I would say its something like that cause I have seen the same thing. But then again I'm not a bird, *with wings*. tehehe. Thanks alarson for another nice viddie.

Gone Birding~Amelia <<<who is staying inside today. Got to have a little rain sometime.

WONDERFUL Alan!!

There's a fabulous little clip in there where a female cardinal sits on the side of the feeder and just jumps right off into thin air! She doesn't fly away, she literally jumps off and down. Priceless!

Thanks Alan, as always, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back