• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (59 Viewers)

Thanks for the info bushy... wider is definitely better. It could be very cosy in the old hide. I can remember trying to see a spot crake from the hide, full to the brim with birders, when the bird showed off to the left - the right hand end of the hide rose several feet....lol

no keith. it will be a single, but it will be longer and wider

had a day at north landing yesterday for the cetacean watch, plenty of stuff about to keep us entertained while the watch happened, arctic skua hassling a kittiwake, flyby from 5 distant scoters, then we did actually manage to see some porpoise too, we might even be the only cetacean watch with stoat on the list too.

I presume it's getting moved back as it is dangerously close to the action.

James, where's the smilie?

This is the only one that gets anywhere near the action. I used to love going to this reserve - its getting more like Swilly Ings. Unfortunately I've only got 60X on my scope.

Can I suggest a tower hide like Caerlaverock built in the car park, and we could view from there, or perhaps a platform on the top of Reedness church?;)

On a more sensible note, it would be good if they could change the angle of it to accord with the other hides and get the best light throughout the day for visitors.

:t:

I'd certainly agree with repositioning, ideally by building a new hide that would take in marshland and the flash behind ousefleet hide that is currently served by the screen. The other benefit of turning it would be to make it useful in the rain, it currently faces the prevailing wind meaning shutters down.

Last edited:
Nostell Priory

Had an interesting 5 minutes at Nostell yesterday in the 'Parkland' - G S Woodpecker, Treecreeper, and Spotted Flycatcher all in the same tree near the Boathouse. Also as usual Green Woodpeckers in the parkland, but only heard today, grass is very long at the moment as we usually see them feeding on the ground. For info - parkland is free to roam around but you have to pay to park - £2.50 if your not a NT member.

This is the only one that gets anywhere near the action. I used to love going to this reserve - its getting more like Swilly Ings. Unfortunately I've only got 60X on my scope.

No need to worry, done some investigating and found that the RSPB are installing these so your scope won't be needed.

The Storm Petrel ringing at Flamborough tonight has been cancelled due to the weather http://www.flamboroughbirdobs.org/

One of those days for me. No pectoral at nosterfield, semi palmated had been flushed out early doors at saltholme and it was p**sing it down at flamborough. Gave up and came home.

Highlights were, a nice male common scoter close in at flamborough and watching a cyclist fall off his bike.

Flamborough

Icterine Warbler in the hedge on the south side of the gorse field next to the lighthouse this evening, had a few brief glimpses of it as it flitted in and out of the hedge and on to the barbed wire fence,

The Storm Petrel ringing at Flamborough tonight has been cancelled due to the weather http://www.flamboroughbirdobs.org/

Fantastic petrol session tonight......

burnt through 150 miles of the stuff.

The YWT haven't covered themselves in glory over the last two days:-

Last night we have a covert ringing session at Spurn - we get the news this morning that four birds were ringed - really useful the morning after the event.

Then we have the session cancelled tonight at Flamborough. I'm no expert but the conditions seemed near to perfect; clear sky - moon shining down, light off-shore breeze, dead calm sea. Hats off to the weather men - exactly as predicted on the forecast, with the rain moving away leaving a perfect evening.

If there was any risk of cancellation it should have been done the night before, like they do on the RSPB cruises. Sometimes this may mean it is cancelled too early, but at least people don't have wasted trips.

This forum and birdline are well know media within the Yorkshire birding scene, but weren't used - it took John to put a message on here.

I guess a measure of whether the cancellation message was communicated well were the c.15 people waiting on the beach tonight until I gave them the news.

Great dank conditions for moths as well - killed loads of the blighters on the way home.

My YWT membership is due. I know the birds ultimately suffer but I'm afraid it will be going towards tonight's costs.

What with Hornsea Mere closing at 6.30pm (????????????) it was a great evening - just out of interest who/how are the Little Gulls counted on a night?

Anyhow rant over - I know I shouldn't be complaining..............I should be leaving that to the guy who'd travelled from Norfolk.

Edit: Now read Andrew Gibson's PM to me and accept the ringing at Spurn was not YWT. It was SBOT - I direct the above comments to them. To use a term Ian Botham uses in commentary - it was pretty "ordinary"

Last edited:
Fantastic petrol session tonight......

burnt through 150 miles of the stuff.

The YWT haven't covered themselves in glory over the last two days:-

Last night we have a covert ringing session at Spurn - we get the news this morning that four birds were ringed - really useful the morning after the event.

Then we have the session cancelled tonight at Flamborough. I'm no expert but the conditions seemed near to perfect; clear sky - moon shining down, light off-shore breeze, dead calm sea. Hats off to the weather men - exactly as predicted on the forecast, with the rain moving away leaving a perfect evening.

If there was any risk of cancellation it should have been done the night before, like they do on the RSPB cruises. Sometimes this may mean it is cancelled too early, but at least people don't have wasted trips.

This forum and birdline are well know media within the Yorkshire birding scene, but weren't used - it took John to put a message on here.

I guess a measure of whether the cancellation message was communicated well were the c.15 people waiting on the beach tonight until I gave them the news.

Great dank conditions for moths as well - killed loads of the blighters on the way home.

My YWT membership is due. I know the birds ultimately suffer but I'm afraid it will be going towards tonight's costs.

What with Hornsea Mere closing at 6.30pm (????????????) it was a great evening - just out of interest who/how are the Little Gulls counted on a night?

Anyhow rant over - I know I shouldn't be complaining..............I should be leaving that to the guy who'd travelled from Norfolk.

Steve. The gate to Kirkholme Point at Hornsea Mere is closed by Mr Hood, who runs the boatyard, when he feels like it, usually early evening. However there is no control to the access to the south side via the gate on Hull Rd, where the Little Gulls are counted from, although I haven't discovered by who yet. Have in previous years counted from a hide off Seaton Rd leased by HVWG.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we had set off to the coast long before the notice appeared on here that the petrel ringing was cancelled, but we did see the piece of A4 paper taped to the post at the car-park... We decided to walk down to the beach anyway and spent a pleasant enough half an hour sea-watching before hearing that an icterine warbler had been seen on the headland. We did a quick divert but in failing light it was a bit futile.

All in all, it could be considered a wasted journey from Leeds, but we did at least find a really good spot in Bridlington to have dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back