• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (93 Viewers)

The crane was showing well around noon at Nosterfield Quarry, the nature reserve car park was full so I reckon the hides will have been full of folks looking for the 'little egret'. Also present were 2 greenshank, a single ruff and a ringed plover plus more canada geese than you could shake a stick at.

At Fairburn this morn. Pickup hide had 1 GreenSand, 3 Com Sand, 2 Snipe. Spoon/flash had these 2 (?sandpipers.) from roadside, ID would be nice please.....:t:
I first thought they were Ruff but they looked different to each other. I know there are variations with Ruff but they were stood with Lapwing and were only about 2/3rds the size.
Cheers Joe
PS Excuse quality it's only a compact...:C

Attachments

• P1000461.JPG
    P1000461.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 93
  • P1000452 copy.jpg
    P1000452 copy.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P1000453.JPG
    P1000453.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 85
  • P1000455.JPG
    P1000455.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I'd say you were correct with ruff as id but I reckon they are females. There's marked difference in size with Ruff, males are much bigger than females, the smallest females can be as small as a dunlin.

After tramping round Nosterfield for most of the day,finally managed to catch up with the Crane at Lingham Lake.

Attachments

• crane1.jpg
    crane1.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 69
  • crane2.jpg
    crane2.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 72
  • crane4.jpg
    crane4.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 62
just a quick pic of the bad weather that cancelled last nights storm petrel ringing.

I'm no expert either but in the 1 storm petrel ringing session I have attended where there was majority cloud cover with a fairly small moon and yet this still effected the catch and the night was quickly abandoned.

Other ringing sessions that get cancelled we associate with bad weather like rain and wind, whereas a night as clear as that would have meant no stormies caught due to them seeing the net!

Happily corrected but this could have been the reason.

Today

And when the rest of the world is going mad! how happy does this make you feel?

Attachments

• h1a.jpg
    h1a.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 119
Some from this week

Will not bore you with the story but i have spent 3 weeks tracking these little buggers! the kestrel was a Fluke!
spent several hours in a make shift hide.

Attachments

• k1a.jpg
    k1a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 60
  • o2a.jpg
    o2a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 61
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
And Finally.

There is a genuine story to this, I thought i was onto a real winner here!
the swallows would not stop dive bombing this chimney.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I'm no expert either but in the 1 storm petrel ringing session I have attended where there was majority cloud cover with a fairly small moon and yet this still effected the catch and the night was quickly abandoned.

Other ringing sessions that get cancelled we associate with bad weather like rain and wind, whereas a night as clear as that would have meant no stormies caught due to them seeing the net!

Happily corrected but this could have been the reason.

No it wasn't the reason. It was cancelled due to bad weather - not due to inappropriate weather for ringing Storm Petrels.

Thanks Captain - your picture nails it.

SEO's at sunset

Have had a few days away from the the rat race, birding across yorkshire.A few more images to follow, but thought u might enjoy these last light images of seo in remoter parts of region. A few days until the glorious 12th, hope it survives!!!

Attachments

• seo1.jpg
    seo1.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 63
  • seo2.jpg
    seo2.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 59
  • seo3.jpg
    seo3.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 63
  • seo4.jpg
    seo4.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 58
No it wasn't the reason. It was cancelled due to bad weather - not due to inappropriate weather for ringing Storm Petrels.

Thanks Captain - your picture nails it.

Okay but can you see that it was inappropriate weather for ringing storm petrels and more than likely none would have been caught anyway?

Okay but can you see that it was inappropriate weather for ringing storm petrels and more than likely none would have been caught anyway?

absolutely spot on for mothing though, which was another aim of the evening.

but to be fair earlier in the day while the rugby was on it was absolutely minging.

it's just unfortunate that the weather forecast was absolutely spot on, what's the chances of that hey a correct weather forecast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back