• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck behavior (1 Viewer)

whatdouthink

In the early spring I fed the mallards in my backyard-which ends in a canal. They eat out of my hand, followed me, came when I called. Some were very young. There were 6 that seemed to be siblings. I could tell them from others because one had an odd bump on the side of its face. I fed them seeds of all sorts and other treats-that would be good for them according to what I read. Then the numbers swelled. Yet still the originals were there. Then some went to molt and hide away towards the end of summer. Then, it seemed none knew me any more. A bunch would still come when I called in the mornings but they no longer would come close to me. They kept their distance. The males started to have their new colors etc. But all my hard work (I had visions of training them to dance) was lost on the ducks. I wonder if they have such little memory, my originals left or after they molt and get new feathers they are too cool to respond to humans. This is in the syracuse NY area.

In the early spring I fed the mallards in my backyard-which ends in a canal. They eat out of my hand, followed me, came when I called. Some were very young. There were 6 that seemed to be siblings. I could tell them from others because one had an odd bump on the side of its face. I fed them seeds of all sorts and other treats-that would be good for them according to what I read. Then the numbers swelled. Yet still the originals were there. Then some went to molt and hide away towards the end of summer. Then, it seemed none knew me any more. A bunch would still come when I called in the mornings but they no longer would come close to me. They kept their distance. The males started to have their new colors etc. But all my hard work (I had visions of training them to dance) was lost on the ducks. I wonder if they have such little memory, my originals left or after they molt and get new feathers they are too cool to respond to humans. This is in the syracuse NY area.

Well, tell it to the poor Red-crested Pochard we had on Danube last October/November. He was such good friends will a flock of mallards, and then they all started to form pairs and gradually left him standing alone on a rock...

Well one big issue became clearer yesterday. There are some huge black birds that are circling above the house/canal at time. In the spring I noticed that the ducks reacted to them way before I could see them. But in the Spring they did not dare come close. Now I see they do come down and take food intended for the ducks. So I can see why they don't venture out of the canal and why they are more wary of everything. The black birds which have huge wing spans have become more aggressive.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back