• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird - normal behavior or sick? (1 Viewer)

smhb0095

United States
I don't know much about the behavior of hummingbirds. I just know there are several around my home (Southern California) and they empty my feeder a couple times a week! Last night I noticed a new hummingbird and its behavior is different than the others. It sits for 10, 15, 20 minutes at a time on the perch. It's still here this morning, doing the same thing. It moves its head around and even drinks from time to time, but also appears to shake a bit. I am not sure if it is just resting or if it's ill. I find it curious that when it is sitting there perched, none of the other hummingbirds come around, as typically they are always flitting about, trying to keep one another away from the feeder. With this bird, none come around. I can't tell if it's male or female, a baby or mature. It's quite fluffy with a lot of color.

Is this typical behavior? If this behavior indicates that it is ill, is there anything I can or should do? It's just so cute and tiny and I hope it's okay!

Attachments

• IMG_8333.MOV
    2.6 MB
Hi, first off welcome to the forum. Your little fellow is a male Rufous or Allan’s Hummingbird, I’ve never seen one stay at the feeder like that, but they will perch near the feeders like that a lot. I can’t tell if he is ok or not.

Rufous Hummingbird was my first thought.
Hi there and welcome aboard. I've had one or two hummers park themselves on a feeder for a long time and never knew why.

Hi, first off welcome to the forum. Your little fellow is a male Rufous or Allan’s Hummingbird, I’ve never seen one stay at the feeder like that, but they will perch near the feeders like that a lot. I can’t tell if he is ok or not.
Thank you for the welcome! I appreciate the insight. :) It's helpful to learn his breed, too!

Rufous Hummingbird was my first thought.
Hi there and welcome aboard. I've had one or two hummers park themselves on a feeder for a long time and never knew why.
Thank you for the welcome! I appreciate the insight. It's great to know the breed and I'm glad to know that this isn't completely unheard of. Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back