• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Minor Triumph (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
I have been letting some light back into part of my overgrown garden recently, and have cleared a small patch ready to lay some decking.

During the work - including the removal of a conifer - I had become aware that a bumble nest (sorry, I don't know the species - but small and buffy yellow, and fortunately, very placid) had a nest in the leaf litter.

Though the area is now very different and has had some extensive, if intermittant, work completed, the bees have managed to continue and thrive.

But I'm now ready to begin the landscaping and they would be under the deck should I continue. What to do?

Today I devised a plan.

Carefully cutting around the nest with a spade I gingerly lifted the soil and nest and put it into an earthenware plantpot in the same spot. For several minutes the confused bees flew around the area and dug into leaf litter at various spots nearby, looking for their nest.

They wouldn't enter the rim of the pot. I placed a garden cane across the pot - a visual signal that was over the original site, and some minutes later they are now in and out of the displaced nest.

So, over the next two or three days I will move their plant pot home gradually away from the immediate site.

And not a single bumble even attempted to attack me. What delightful animals they are. I hope they thrive.

Well done H - they sound alot more amicable than the nest of bloody Jaspers I accidently stumbled upon whilst clearing a corner of the garden. Vicious little buggers had me running inside with stings to the wrist, arm, head and armpit (ouch!)....

What great news H. An excellent job you appear to have done there.

Well done H - they sound alot more amicable than the nest of bloody Jaspers I accidently stumbled upon whilst clearing a corner of the garden. Vicious little buggers had me running inside with stings to the wrist, arm, head and armpit (ouch!)....

What great news H. An excellent job you appear to have done there.

Yeah, there was a nest of jaspers too, BBB - got stung by one - they had to go!
Vicious little sods.

Thanks D, they are coming & going from the pot- already moved a few inches away!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back