• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified duck (1 Viewer)

allanpcameron

United Kingdom
Unidentified duck in Glasgow, Scotland

I saw this pair at Hogganfield Loch in Glasgow today. I've a feeling they might be some kind of escaped domestic type, but they're swimming with the Mallards now. Anyone got an idea?
Thanks
Allan

Attachments

• Hogganfield161008 034.jpg
    Hogganfield161008 034.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
'Escaped domestic type' is along the right lines. These birds are hybrid mallards and what many birders refer to as 'scrap'! [i know it sounds a bit unkind]! There are many 'mutant type' ducks about and goodness knows what half of them have mated with! [most birders don't really care too much...unless they resemble a 'good' species]! These hybrids can all be a bit confusing to someone starting out...[actually they still confuse many experienced birders on occasion]!

As LMN said, not a hybrid. As far as I remember, the only hybrid you're likely to get as an escapee is the 'Mule Duck', which is a Muscovy x Mallard, but you don't see those too often out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back