• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling artwork (1 Viewer)

Nature__lover

Using my own photo as a reference I painted two starlings that had visited my garden;
PICT0049.JPG

I sketched the general shapes in with a pencil, then watercoloured the birds flat black. when that had dried I dipped an old, sharp pencil into some metallic acrylic gold paint, and drew on the flecks on the starlings plumage.
When that had dried I scratched some detail in with a pen, to make the feathers look a bit more rugged.

Amy
UK
aged 13.

thanks for looking.

very interesting techniques in that starling pic: keep doing original stuff like this and you will get some great results!

Really nice! Great technique too, I would never have thought of it but it seemed to have worked very well with this piece. :)

Thanks everyone. I know, it's a v. unusual technique, but I like to experiment!
it meant that I could draw the flecks OVER the black feathers, (because it was thick gold paint) rather than having to leave a billion white spaces (which is a bonus!)

I'll be doing another drawing/painting soon so keep an eye on the thread :)

Excellent effort, Amy! I would never have thought about this. Let's hope these great results spur you on to a an utterly absorbing pastime.

Regards

Russ

Super job Amy - besides the very clever technique, you've done just the the right thing using your own photographs; that and selecting the correct poses to make a naturalistic and flowing composition. Keep doing this sort of work (supplemented by a bit of life-drawing) and you won't go far wrong. In my humble opinion.

Hi Amy had a peek at your Flickr site also lovely pieces of work

im sure we will be seeing a lot more of your work

i will try and keep track of your career !

thanks . Planning on painting some long-tailed tits tomorrow. If I get round to it I will post them.

keep checking the thread if you want to see more of my art .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back