• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen @Six 6x18: quirky and surprising pocket binocular (4 Viewers)

yarrellii

Supporter
I tend to like Vixen binoculars, they usually offer great value and pretty good optics. I guess it has to do with the decisions regarding the selection of products from different Asian producers, because it seems that they choose models also offered by other brands (like Opticron, Celestron, DDOptics, Kowa, etc.). So far I’ve had 9 Vixen binoculars and I think there has not been a single one that has disappointed me, with some models far exceeding my expectations or the level of performance its price might have anticipated, like the Ultima Porro range (JB 56), the Foresta Porro range (I’ve had both the 8x32 and 7x50 of both of these two ranges), the Artes J, or even the New Foresta 8x56 AK, which is seriously bright. Now enter the quirkiest of the lot: the @Six 6x18 Here's a link to its webpage: Vixen Binoculars @Six 6X18 | Vixen

Vixen618_01.jpeg
Vixen618_02.jpeg

This is a truly pocket model that has many tricks up its sleeve. To begin with, it’s a true pocket binocular, at 145 g (5,1 oz), with a 3 mm EP, not 2,5 like other very small pockets, and this should offer a slightly higher level of comfort and ease of use. And now comes the amazing bit, this tiny toy-looking device features a 9º FOV… and a 55 cm close focus, like the Pentax Papilio… and this all comes in a colourful nifty bino costing 75 $ Is this all even possible? Let’s have a look.

Here, compared to the Nikon 8x25 Travelite EX (AKA Prostaff ATB) and the Nikon CF III 7x20 (my standard for pocket binos).

Vixen618_04.jpeg

Design-wise, I think it’s rather catchy. I have a thing for quirky Japanese cars manufactured for their own market (JDM), like the Nissan Pao or Nissan Figaro. Well, while these Vixen won’t probably end up at the MOMA, I like the design work that has obviously been done on the hinge area, both when fully open or fully closed (when it reminds me of the kitten from the movie "Shrek").

Vixen618_03.jpeg
article-2657035-1EB9365300000578-176_634x505.jpg

Eyecups are, as was to be expected, a little too narrow for my liking (inner diameter is around 27 mm, compared to 31 mm on the 7x20 Nikon CFIII, my standard pocket). But hey, this is a 145 g little binocular, so miniaturization had to take its toll somewhere. Anyway, the single hinge design kind of makes up for that in terms of usability. While in my experience 200 g is an absolute limit for a true pocket, I find sub-150 g ideal. This is the kind of object you can carry without noticing it. When I had the Ultravid 8x20, the 245 g really felt a little too much, also probably due to the fact that the leica feels "denser", while the 200 g Nikon 7x20 or this Vixen feel lighter than they are, probably because of their toy-like plasticky build.

Vixen618_09.jpeg

The image is surprisingly usable, more than reasonably sharp, it’s actually very pleasant. When scanning a landscape the image feels “nice”, which is quite a lot to say for such a diminute device: there’s no obvious flaw that might hinder the view. No terribly soft edges, no fussy areas, and you can get a sharp focus, unlike the Nikon 8x21 Aculon I tried a while ago, which was priced similarly but plagued by drawbacks. Compared to the Nikon CF III 7x20, the image feels “more contemporary”, in that there’s no yellow hue/tint, but a pretty accurate colour representantion, the white appears quite white, probably due to more modern coatings. If anything, I'd say colours err on the cold side of the colour spectrum.

While inspecting the Vixen I realised they use BK-7 glass, which I later on confirmed is indicated in the specs. You can notice the classical "diamond" shape when looking at the exit pupil.

Vixen618_05.jpeg

The figure given for FOV seems at least reasonable. Without a proper and accurate test, the 9º figure appears not to be too far off. Here it is compared with the 8,3º FOV of the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32. The image is noticeably wider. Aligned at the right edge with a flat building (a supermarket with green letters). On the left edge you can see how the Vixen offers a noticeably wider FOV, as a reference, on the lower left side of both images there is a white square (a small building), which is nearly at the field stop of the Opticron, but on the Vixen there is still a good deal of things to be seen before the field stop). Above, the 8,3º Opticron, below, the 9º Vixen.

Vixen618_10.jpeg

One thing that I’ve noticed is that the image feels a little “small”, I don’t know if this is due to the large FOV. Switching between the 7x20 Nikon and the 6x18 Vixen the difference feels larger than a 1x step. And then, comparing it to another 6x, the “cheap & cheerful” Kowa 6x30, the Kowa appears to display a larger image (again, this might be due to the narrower FOV of the Kowa). While switching between the Vixen and the Kowa you do notice a big jump in image quality, resolution, sharpness, 3D, pop… is like if someone had turned on the HD button. I wonder if this can be also due to the stereopsis on the Kowa. The image on the Vixen appears flat in comparison probably an outcome of comparing reverse against traditional Porro. But while I would say the “battle” between Vixen 6x18 and Nikon 7x20 was an even match between comparable forces, the Kowa 6x30 is simply on another level: well, it costs double the money and is also three times heavier and appears huge compared to the Vixen, and mind you, the Kowa is a very small and light binocular!

Vixen618_07.jpeg

But now comes the amazing bit: the close focus is on Papilio territory. As a matter of fact, even though Vixen indicates 55 cm (21,6 inches), I can actually get a focus view from around 43 - 44 cm. However, that close the view is pretty annoying, since it’s nearly impossible to merge both images, even reducing IPD dramatically. So I guess the official figure is more or less true for a “usable” close focus… which is nothing short of amazing in my book.

The chapter of accessories is as small as the binocular, and also a little quirky: there are no caps whatsoever, and the bag is the kind that opens on the top, like roll-up watertight travel packs (or Ortlieb panniers), but it doesn't seem to roll. It is very lightly padded and comes with a cord that slides through one of those buckles used on guy lines of camping tents, a really minimal approach. The strap is also a little cord with the quick release buckle system I really like on binoculars. Anyway, given the nearly inexistent padding/protection, I guess a much more convenient solution is to simply carry the Vixen on a small sunglass fabric pouch.

Vixen618_06.jpeg

And finally, some cons and a small usability problem I've found. The focus wheel is of reasonable size for such a tiny bino. Smaller than the Nikon 7x20 (which is actually huge for that format), but it somehow protrudes backwards in a way that, at least for my facial features, makes me touch the tip of the focus wheel with my forehead right before my eyebrows touch the eyecups. In a way, is like if Vixen have inadvertendly invented the forehead rest Swarovsky has been championing over the last years! :D :D It's not terrible, but it makes focusing a little awkward. Talking about focusing, the focus wheel is OK, better than the Aculon 8x21, but offering a slightly different level of resistance across its very long throw, which turns for more than 2 complete turns. So, if you add to this the ability to focus from very close to very far, it means that there is quite a lot of turning to be made if you want to go from very close to infinity. On an "average" use however, the low magnification means very little focusing action is needed in practice.

Vixen618_08.jpeg

In summary. A true pocket binocular which is a midget on steroids: 6x, 9º FOV, 145 g and 50 cm close focus. An ideal companion to take anywhere: museum, concert, gallery, everyday, nature… So small and quite inexpensive too! No, don’t expect any miracle in terms of view, this offers no Leica Ultravid view, but don’t underestimate its abilities either. The image has no obvious flaws, which I find remarkable. So a very nice pocket to shortlist if you are looking for an EDC that can offer a lot for very little in a diminutive bino.

Last edited:
@Canip You are welcome :) I bought it directly from Japan through an eBay seller. If I remember correctly, is this one:

I've noticed that now he has increased the price from the 74,91 $ I paid some weeks ago to 88,84 $, but still an interesting price. Yes, it is a toy-ish plasticky device (probably less solid than what the pictures would make you believe), and I really don't know how much more I would be ready to pay, but for that kind of money I think it's a really interesting proposal (not sure if there's any competence for the kind of unique performance-price-portability the little Vixen offers).

The same Vixen series includes a really curious 4x18, but that one has a humble 9,2º, making the AFOV only 35,7º according to Vixen, and while the +4 mm EP on the 4x18 sounds promising, the lower power and narrower AFOV made me choose the 6x, which I consider a great allrounder.

I tend to like Vixen binoculars, they usually offer great value and pretty good optics. I guess it has to do with the decisions regarding the selection of products from different Asian producers, because it seems that they choose models also offered by other brands (like Opticron, Celestron, DDOptics, Kowa, etc.). So far I’ve had 9 Vixen binoculars and I think there has not been a single one that has disappointed me, with some models far exceeding my expectations or the level of performance its price might have anticipated, like the Ultima Porro range (JB 56), the Foresta Porro range (I’ve had both the 8x32 and 7x50 of both of these two ranges), the Artes J, or even the New Foresta 8x56 AK, which is seriously bright. Now enter the quirkiest of the lot: the @Six 6x18 Here's a link to its webpage: Vixen Binoculars @Six 6X18 | Vixen

View attachment 1545403
View attachment 1545404

This is a truly pocket model that has many tricks up its sleeve. To begin with, it’s a true pocket binocular, at 145 g (5,1 oz), with a 3 mm EP, not 2,5 like other very small pockets, and this should offer a slightly higher level of comfort and ease of use. And now comes the amazing bit, this tiny toy-looking device features a 9º FOV… and a 55 cm close focus, like the Pentax Papilio… and this all comes in a colourful nifty bino costing 75 $ Is this all even possible? Let’s have a look.

Here, compared to the Nikon 8x25 Travelite EX (AKA Prostaff ATB) and the Nikon CF III 7x20 (my standard for pocket binos).

View attachment 1545406

Design-wise, I think it’s rather catchy. I have a thing for quirky Japanese cars manufactured for their own market (JDM), like the Nissan Pao or Nissan Figaro. Well, while these Vixen won’t probably end up at the MOMA, I like the design work that has obviously been done on the hinge area, both when fully open or fully closed (when it reminds me of the kitten from the movie "Shrek").

View attachment 1545405

Eyecups are, as was to be expected, a little too narrow for my liking (inner diameter is around 27 mm, compared to 31 mm on the 7x20 Nikon CFIII, my standard pocket). But hey, this is a 145 g little binocular, so miniaturization had to take its toll somewhere. Anyway, the single hinge design kind of makes up for that in terms of usability. While in my experience 200 g is an absolute limit for a true pocket, I find sub-150 g ideal. This is the kind of object you can carry without noticing it. When I had the Ultravid 8x20, the 245 g really felt a little too much, also probably due to the fact that the leica feels "denser", while the 200 g Nikon 7x20 or this Vixen feel lighter than they are, probably because of their toy-like plasticky build.

View attachment 1545411

The image is surprisingly usable, more than reasonably sharp, it’s actually very pleasant. When scanning a landscape the image feels “nice”, which is quite a lot to say for such a diminute device: there’s no obvious flaw that might hinder the view. No terribly soft edges, no fussy areas, and you can get a sharp focus, unlike the Nikon 8x21 Aculon I tried a while ago, which was priced similarly but plagued by drawbacks. Compared to the Nikon CF III 7x20, the image feels “more contemporary”, in that there’s no yellow hue/tint, but a pretty accurate colour representantion, the white appears quite white, probably due to more modern coatings. If anything, I'd say colours err on the cold side of the colour spectrum.

While inspecting the Vixen I realised they use BK-7 glass, which I later on confirmed is indicated in the specs. You can notice the classical "diamond" shape when looking at the exit pupil.

View attachment 1545407

The figure given for FOV seems at least reasonable. Without a proper and accurate test, the 9º figure appears not to be too far off. Here it is compared with the 8,3º FOV of the Opticron Traveller ED 8x32. The image is noticeably wider. Aligned at the right edge with a flat building (a supermarket with green letters). On the left edge you can see how the Vixen offers a noticeably wider FOV, as a reference, on the lower left side of both images there is a white square (a small building), which is nearly at the field stop of the Opticron, but on the Vixen there is still a good deal of things to be seen before the field stop). Above, the 8,3º Opticron, below, the 9º Vixen.

View attachment 1545412

One thing that I’ve noticed is that the image feels a little “small”, I don’t know if this is due to the large FOV. Switching between the 7x20 Nikon and the 6x18 Vixen the difference feels larger than a 1x step. And then, comparing it to another 6x, the “cheap & cheerful” Kowa 6x30, the Kowa appears to display a larger image (again, this might be due to the narrower FOV of the Kowa). While switching between the Vixen and the Kowa you do notice a big jump in image quality, resolution, sharpness, 3D, pop… is like if someone had turned on the HD button. I wonder if this can be also due to the stereopsis on the Kowa. The image on the Vixen appears flat in comparison probably an outcome of comparing reverse against traditional Porro. But while I would say the “battle” between Vixen 6x18 and Nikon 7x20 was an even match between comparable forces, the Kowa 6x30 is simply on another level: well, it costs double the money and is also three times heavier and appears huge compared to the Vixen, and mind you, the Kowa is a very small and light binocular!

View attachment 1545409

But now comes the amazing bit: the close focus is on Papilio territory. As a matter of fact, even though Vixen indicates 55 cm (21,6 inches), I can actually get a focus view from around 43 - 44 cm. However, that close the view is pretty annoying, since it’s nearly impossible to merge both images, even reducing IPD dramatically. So I guess the official figure is more or less true for a “usable” close focus… which is nothing short of amazing in my book.

The chapter of accessories is as small as the binocular, and also a little quirky: there are no caps whatsoever, and the bag is the kind that opens on the top, like roll-up watertight travel packs (or Ortlieb panniers), but it doesn't seem to roll. It is very lightly padded and comes with a cord that slides through one of those buckles used on guy lines of camping tents, a really minimal approach. The strap is also a little cord with the quick release buckle system I really like on binoculars. Anyway, given the nearly inexistent padding/protection, I guess a much more convenient solution is to simply carry the Vixen on a small sunglass fabric pouch.

View attachment 1545408

And finally, some cons and a small usability problem I've found. The focus wheel is of reasonable size for such a tiny bino. Smaller than the Nikon 7x20 (which is actually huge for that format), but it somehow protrudes backwards in a way that, at least for my facial features, makes me touch the tip of the focus wheel with my forehead right before my eyebrows touch the eyecups. In a way, is like if Vixen have inadvertendly invented the forehead rest Swarovsky has been championing over the last years! :D :D It's not terrible, but it makes focusing a little awkward. Talking about focusing, the focus wheel is OK, better than the Aculon 7x21, but offering a slightly different level of resistance across its very long throw, which turns for more than 2 complete turns. So, if you add to this the ability to focus from very close to very far, it means that there is quite a lot of turning to be made if you want to go from very close to infinity. On an "average" use however, the low magnification means very little focusing action is needed in practice.

View attachment 1545410

In summary. A true pocket binocular which is a midget on steroids: 6x, 9º FOV, 145 g and 50 cm close focus. An ideal companion to take anywhere: museum, concert, gallery, everyday, nature… So small and quite inexpensive too! No, don’t expect any miracle in terms of view, this offers no Leica Ultravid view, but don’t underestimate its abilities either. The image has no obvious flaws, which I find remarkable. So a very nice pocket to shortlist if you are looking for an EDC that can offer a lot for very little in a diminutive bino.

Nice review, i really enjoyed your writings on this overcast sunday.

After reading yarrellii‘s review, I couldn‘t resist and ordered one of these.

Thanks again for the heads up, yarrellii - I find your review accurate in each and every respect (including the remark about the Shrek kitten ;) )and the little Vixen an amazingly usable little toy, esp. also its close focus, but also for greater distances, the optics and FOV are quite satisfactory.

At first glance, a serious competitor to the Papilio at less than half the price. And the Papilio is twice the weight of the Vixen.
The Papilio is at least splashproof; will need to confirm this for the Vixen ( the product description is unclear in this respect).

Canip

Last edited:
@Canip I'm really glad I could steer you in the direction of this little quirky bino that seems to skip out of the radar (and I'm happy as a hippo that I could add something to your vast knowledge, always a great way to show gratitude for the amazing work you've put together in the Pinacollection, that is a great -and free!- resource).

While I have the 6.5x Papilio, I haven't been able to do a proper test, because my little daughter dropped them and they're misaligned (well, I guess it's the price to pay for infusing some love for nature and awe for everyday things). However, going by memory, I'd say that the Papilio scores higher in terms of pure quality of view, in my memory it is very sharp and contrasty, which comes as little surprise, given than the Papilio are bigger, heavier, more expensive and have a much reduced FOV.

What I wonder is that, given what Vixen can sell this for around 80 €, wouldn't it be amazing that someone took this same idea and said "Ok, let's do this with a 250 $ selling price, or a 450 $ selling price". I can only imagine if Kamakura or Kunming took the challenge and embarked on such a quest, the result could give the likes of the Ultravid and Curios a run for their money. But then, I can hear "costs, costs, costs" on the mouth of every department director :D

Yarrellii,

just for fun, here some data, since I use these for my website anyway:

Objective diameter: 18 mm
Free aperture (measured): 16 mm
Magnification: 6x
Exit pupil (measured): 2.7 mm
Eye relief (according to spec): 12 mm
Usable eye relief (measured from rim of folded eyecups): 10mm
IPD (according to spec): 58 – 75 mm
RFOV(acc. to spec.): 9 degrees = 157 m
RFOV (measured): 9.2 degrees = 161 m
AFOV (acc. to spec.): 50.6 degrees
AFOV (measured, rounded): 52 degrees
Minimum focus distance (according to spec): 55 cm
Focus type: CF (direction of rotation from close to infinity: > clockwise)
Degrees of rotation of focus wheel from 3 m to infinity (measured): 90 degrees
Range of diopter adjustment (estimate): +/- 4 dpt
Excess travel of focus wheel beyond infinity position (estimate): > 8 dpt
Prism system: Porro I reverse
Waterproof: no
Weight (acc. to spec, without accessories): 145 g
Weight (measured, with strap): 151 g
Made in: China

Vixen claims „fully multi-coated“, which is unusual for a device at this price point.

Usable eye relief appears tight for eyeglass wearers (with my glasses, it just works).

Canip

Last edited:
@Canip This is really great, good job checking the accuracy of the given stats.
As for the aperture... so I asume the lenses are indeed 18 mm, but only 16 mm are usable, right? That's a bit of a bummer, given the scarce amount of glass surface, I guess every mm counts.

I wonder why and how this disparity between specs and reality happens. I've seen it being the case in many binoculars over the years. For example, a lens turns out to be not 52 mm but 51, or magnification is not 7 but 7,5... how does this exactly work?
  • Do producers know but they just don't care?
  • Was this variation something engineers and designers knew beforehand would happen during the production process but somehow assumed it was within reasonable margin?
  • Or maybe they think that it's better to "simplify" things and simply stick to certain "given values", like 42 mm, 8x, etc., than to actually market their products as 7,5x41, because of fear of lower sales?

I find it surprising, to say the least, that in a process involving precision such things can happen (it's not like doing something without a plan, or something that can go wrong in the process, like cooking). And I'm not talking about a sub 80 $ bino like this, but indeed in other pricier binoculars. I remember reading Allbinos review of the Minox 8.5x52, and it turned out it was more like 8,7x51... and we are talking about their top of the range HG (supposedly "made in Germany") and costing over 500 €. I would think Minox has the resources to measure their prototypes and do the necessary corrections to meet their criteria. I'm talking from a stand point of absolute ignorance, it's something that really puzzles me.

Thanks Yarellii. A good example of value for the money in a versatile shirt pocket model. Agree Vixen produces some interesting bins for the price.

I came across the Vixen Meglass H 6x16 used/mint for $100. Now discontinued and original MSRP $300. Very nice construction, super small and feather light but pleasant to handle with 8.3 degree FoV. Close focus @ 5'. BK 7 silver coated prisms but bright enough in daylight and in good indoor lighting (museums). External focus and eyecups do not twist up but I can obtain useful FoV when using glasses. It has leatherette accents and came with a very nicely made leather case which unfortunately is way over done for its utility and probably accounts for the MSRP which was just too high. Your 6x18 packs more performance into a more economical package.

Below is a pic of the 6x16 compared to the UV 8x20 and Curio to show the considerable size difference.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    704.6 KB · Views: 39
yarrellii (post #13),

Thank you - but I hope you don‘t expect me to answer your many very justified questions;)

Re aperture: the front lens is indeed 18mm, but an internal baffle acts as a field stop and „eats away“ roughly 2mm of aperture, and this explains the exit pupil which is not the full 3mm it ought to be. But that doesn‘t worry me too much in a 75 dollar bino; like you, I have seen similar things in much more expensive binos.

By the way, re splashproof (my earlier question ): the @6 is neither that nor dustproof, since focusing is achieved by moving the objective lens block, the same way as e.g. in some of the Canons (8x20, 10x30, 12x36, etc) or e.g. the tiny Nikon 4x10, so a bit of care is advisable when using the Vixen in wet or dusty conditions. Still a fun toy, though …

@Canip Thanks for the clarification.

The paragraphs and questions regarding lack of consistency between specs and reality was more of a ranting thinking out loud than a demand for an answer from your side :D But everyone is welcome to throw in some thoughts (or first hand knowlege).

@mwhogue I wasn't aware of that model. It's amazing how it makes the tiny UV8x20 look like a giant! I wonder about the eyecups on the Vixen Meglas, did you get a chance to meassure them? It looks as if Vixen had made an effort to keep them as big as possible considering the size of the binos, isn't it? I wonder about the optical performance of this, given the retail price, how much of an improvement can they offer over the reverse porro 6x18...
Great little find!

@mwhogue I wasn't aware of that model. It's amazing how it makes the tiny UV8x20 look like a giant! I wonder about the eyecups on the Vixen Meglas, did you get a chance to meassure them? It looks as if Vixen had made an effort to keep them as big as possible considering the size of the binos, isn't it? I wonder about the optical performance of this, given the retail price, how much of an improvement can they offer over the reverse porro 6x18...
Great little find!

Yarrellii,

Eyecups on the Meglass 6x16 are 27mm vs 30 mm for the UV BR. They are made of medium soft rubber and very comfortable. And Yes it appears the diameter of the eyecups (and barrels) are slightly larger than they could be perhaps but this slightly larger size makes them extremely pleasant to handle. For me the balance between size and light weight together with the 6x results in an IS stable image.

I may get a chance to compare them optically to my Nikon Mikron 6x15 this weekend.

Mike

@mwhogue Thanks for that. I really feel the lower magnification fit the everyday-carry binocular really well. It makes things regarding size, weight, exit pupil and stable view easier (given the light weight and ultra compact size of pockets, I've found that a jiggly image is usually a common and shared feature of many of these binoculars).

View attachment 1545403
View attachment 1545404

View attachment 1545406

View attachment 1545405

View attachment 1545411

View attachment 1545407

View attachment 1545412

View attachment 1545409

View attachment 1545408

And finally, some cons and a small usability problem I've found. The focus wheel is of reasonable size for such a tiny bino. Smaller than the Nikon 7x20 (which is actually huge for that format), but it somehow protrudes backwards in a way that, at least for my facial features, makes me touch the tip of the focus wheel with my forehead right before my eyebrows touch the eyecups. In a way, is like if Vixen have inadvertendly invented the forehead rest Swarovsky has been championing over the last years! :D :D It's not terrible, but it makes focusing a little awkward. Talking about focusing, the focus wheel is OK, better than the Aculon 8x21, but offering a slightly different level of resistance across its very long throw, which turns for more than 2 complete turns. So, if you add to this the ability to focus from very close to very far, it means that there is quite a lot of turning to be made if you want to go from very close to infinity. On an "average" use however, the low magnification means very little focusing action is needed in practice.

View attachment 1545410

Great writeup. Thank you. Have you tried the Vortex 8x26 Vanquish? I'm curious how they compare in this lineup. I recently tried a cheapo $20 reverse porro pair and was surprised at how decent they were.
After reading yarrellii‘s review, I couldn‘t resist and ordered one of these.

Thanks again for the heads up, yarrellii - I find your review accurate in each and every respect (including the remark about the Shrek kitten ;) )and the little Vixen an amazingly usable little toy, esp. also its close focus, but also for greater distances, the optics and FOV are quite satisfactory.

At first glance, a serious competitor to the Papilio at less than half the price. And the Papilio is twice the weight of the Vixen.
The Papilio is at least splashproof; will need to confirm this for the Vixen ( the product description is unclear in this respect).

Canip
Did you ever finish your review? I'm curious how they compare optically to the papilio for insects and flowers?

Your page says "to be updated".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back