• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-tailed Wheatear (1 Viewer)

Clibanarii

Hello Birders,

I'm pretty sure this is a Red-tailed Wheatear. Can you please confirm.

Taken near Muscat Oman, end of Nov.

Attachments

• Red-tailed Wheatear 03.JPG
    Red-tailed Wheatear 03.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Red-tailed Wheatear 04.JPG
    Red-tailed Wheatear 04.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 45
  • Red-tailed Wheatear 07.jpg
    Red-tailed Wheatear 07.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Red-tailed Wheatear 09.JPG
    Red-tailed Wheatear 09.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Red-tailed Wheatear 11.JPG
    Red-tailed Wheatear 11.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 52
Looks like Oenanthe chrysopygia. I always get confused with the English name because of the recent split but I think it's Red tailed Wheatear. Anyway Desert Wheatear has no red so can't see how this can be one. The tail pattern is hard to see unless the tail is spread open

You can see some red in the tail in pic 4. Looks good for Red tailed to me but not sure which one as I've no books with me.

Looks like Oenanthe chrysopygia. I always get confused with the English name because of the recent split but I think it's Red tailed Wheatear.
Red-tailed Wheatear = Oenanthe xanthoprymna (recently renamed Kurdish Wheatear in some books), so if this is Oenanthe chrysopygia, it isn't Red-tailed (Oenanthe chrysopygia = Persian Wheatear).
Anyway Desert Wheatear has no red so can't see how this can be one. The tail pattern is hard to see unless the tail is spread open
I don't see any red!

Here is the species i was referring to, according to wikepedia Red-tailed Wheatear
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_wheatear

The name has changed a bunch of times. I used to know it as Persian but seems to have changed since.

The red in the tail is sometimes not that obvious. I've seen hundreds of Desert Wheatear and never saw one with rusty flanks etc.

It depends what taxonomy you follow. I'm Clements the two (xanthoprymna and chrysopygia) are just one species called Red-tailed. In Wikipedia they are split and chrysopygia is called Red-tailed (as well as Persian and another couple of names). Xanthoprymna is called Kurdish. Either way, call it what you prefer, it looks like a chrysopygia.

Oenanthe chrysopygia
is called
Afghan Wheatear (Avibase taxonomic concepts)
Red-tailed Wheatear (Howard and Moore 3rd edition (incl. corrigenda 8), IOC World Bird Names, up to and including version 4.02, Birdlife checklist up to and including version 07)
Rusty-tailed Wheatear (Handbook of the Birds of the World)
Not split by Clements, so in ebird as a group is called Red-tailed Wheatear (Red-tailed)

I see no where where this species is called "Persian" by a taxonomic authority (data from http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?lang=EN&avibaseid=E749750AA9A121CC)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back