• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

small gull in Oman (1 Viewer)

Clibanarii

Hello this is small gull was pictured in February in Muscat Oman
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• NN_Om_byOwnAPP 029 (2).JPG
    NN_Om_byOwnAPP 029 (2).JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 104
  • NN_Om_byOwnAPP 031 (2).JPG
    NN_Om_byOwnAPP 031 (2).JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 104
Hello,
I hope for more pictures too.
But first gut feeling was of a Marsh Tern. Yes, I trust observers opinion much more than pictures, but with such a pale impression and by the appearant shape of the black face mask, more pictures could well make this a White winged Tern?

Little Gull doesn't occur; I think the best guess so far is White Winged Tern which is also a rare occurrence;
Flight was also softer, more tern-like. Exact location was a sewage treatment plant (al Ansab wetlands)

thanks both
additional photos attached

Attachments

• WWT (1).JPG
    WWT (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • WWT (2).JPG
    WWT (2).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • WWT (3).JPG
    WWT (3).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • WWT (4).JPG
    WWT (4).JPG
    918 KB · Views: 60
  • WWT (5).JPG
    WWT (5).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • WWT (6).JPG
    WWT (6).JPG
    910.4 KB · Views: 65
Those dark remiges in pic WWT(1) are intriguing, not shown by a White-winged Tern at any age, but in 2nd cycle Little Gull. I still wonder if that could just be a photographic trick since in all the other pics it looks better for a Marsh Tern. Why should Little Gull occasionally not occure in Muskat? And Little Gulls are commonly mistaken for Terns due to their erratic flight over water bodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back