• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA, New York: which songbird? (1 Viewer)

Fwin71

Bird seen on the 10th August 2014 while driving back to New York
In: New York state
In: a suburban habitat (residential area).

I have my idea about the species and I already asked US birders, but I don't mind one more confirmation. I don't want to influence anybody and will keep the species secret.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• H.jpg
    H.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 74
  • H2.jpg
    H2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 55
Brown-headed Cowbird indeed! It is a juvenile, so the plumage looks "spotted". Not many other species has a thick all black bill. The feet are also very heavy, indicating a ground foraging icterid.
Note, this time of year BHCO is one he most frequent birds to show up on this forum.

Andy

No, for sure not a brown-headed cowbird. Smaller and too many distinctive features

Really? The pictured bird looks just fine for young Brown-headed Cowbird for me - a bird noted for its lack of distinctive features. |:||

I'm now very curious about what your initial suspected ID was - very few eastern North American birds with that bill shape.

Cheers,
Peter

Alright! Cheers to both of you! Maybe I'll wait for a third opinion, but I looked at pictures and juvenile BHCO looks quite convincing.
Two US birders told me at the last ornithological congress that it was a house finch...

Two US birders told me at the last ornithological congress that it was a house finch...

Aha! Yes, I can see that as a source of confusion. However, the female/young House Finch has more contrasting streaking below (background is considerably lighter than on this bird), and shows a distinct white bar on the median wing coverts (there's also a second wing bar, on the greaters, but it's narrower).

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you! I am fully convinced now.
Lesson of the day: better many than a few opinions on a picture!
Tonight, I will also post some sounds I recorded from the same place, near a stream.
Thanks again!

Really? The pictured bird looks just fine for young Brown-headed Cowbird for me - a bird noted for its lack of distinctive features. |:||

I'm now very curious about what your initial suspected ID was - very few eastern North American birds with that bill shape.

Cheers,
Peter

I agree on Brown-headed Cowbird.

Another for juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird. Spotted, not streaked, underneath, scalloped scapular / mantle feathers, bill size and shape plus large feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back