• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (2 Viewers)

back to the birds.

Male Baltimore Oriole
7 x 10 in Transparent watercolor
Arches 140lb HP paper
Detail shot is about 3x4 inches.

WIP can be seen here.

Attachments

• oriole.jpg
    oriole.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 76
  • orioleCU.jpg
    orioleCU.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 53
Great oriole, Matt! I miss seeing these guys since moving out to the west coast years ago...although about four years ago we had one show up in a park not too far from my place. We do have Bullock's Orioles out here, though.

Great work on the Turnstone! We only see a few Ruddy's here - mostly Black Turnstones in our area. I need to try to sketch them one of these days.

Your pictures are beautiful all the way through! It's a pleasure looking through your gallery. Thank you for so many great paintings/drawings |=)|.

Best wishes,
Kathrin

These are great, Matt - may I ask; what do you do with these monochromes? - Are they exhibited, do you use them as starting points for carvings, are they personal exercises . . .or all of the above?

Thanks Tim,

At this point the animal drawings are pretty much for my own enjoyment. Medical illustration work pays the bills. I'll sell the watercolors and prints that I do from the drawings here and there.

Ideally I'll get a chance to do watercolors of many of these drawings at some point. I have a pretty big backlog of these that I'd like to work up at some point. I use bound sketchbooks, so I hate to remove them from the book. All the pencil work that I've posted here is still in the studio.

I'll show things locally in Michigan here and there, but haven't entered any national or international shows in years, although I had some success with getting things into shows in the past. I found that getting into shows didn't always equate to sales. Entry fees, framing, boxing up paintings and shipping costs add up quickly. Other than locally, I don't think I've entered any shows in the past 8 years or so. I was only entering the watercolor work, not any drawings at that point.

Now I totally understand where that precise line comes from, no one draws quite like a medical illustrator.....gackle is gorgeous

Now I totally understand where that precise line comes from, no one draws quite like a medical illustrator.....gackle is gorgeous

Spot on Colleen!

My Father-in-law absolutely hates grackles! I thought they were rather endearing in a magpie/crow sort of a way. I didn't actually realise they weren't corvids.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back