• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (2 Viewers)

THanks all! The woodpeckers are a fun group of birds to draw. Someday it'd be fun to get a cooperative acorn pecker to draw.
Colleen... that was the link to the previous Ibis painting. It probably seemed out of place right before the next post.

. . . and another great piece, Matty. I really like these drawings; the subtlety of the tonal work contained very precisely with the lovely outline. Smart!

Extremely well done, Matty! You've captured the flight posture of the wading birds very well. Always amazing to me how compactly they can stow away that whip of a neck.

I'm really starting to appreciate the abstract quality of your heavier outlines which have descriptive qualities yes, but looking closely the line never is generalized or common but has all these little shifts, turns and nuances that lend life to the drawings.

Thanks! The snowy egret is a gorgeous bird. They were pretty nasty to the ibis, harassing them all the time tying to get them to drop their fish.

Thanks Colleen! Its hard to find a balance between the shaded drawings and a lively line. Occasionally it works well. I used to do a lot of pen and ink work with weighted line. I've been thinking about that a bit lately when doing the pencil work.

Attachments

• RTHum.gif
    RTHum.gif
    43.5 KB · Views: 60
Great ruby throat Matt. I tried to get some shots of them years ago when I visited N Carolina and ended up with some tiny little smudges in loads of background!

Mike

Thanks!. They are hard to photograph. I throw awya a ton of shots every time I try. It seems the best luck I've had is prefocusing a long lens (400mm) on a tripod where the hummer will be lined up at a feeder, then using a wireless remote. Even with that, the bird gets chopped off of is just out of focus in many of the shots. Sketches are almost always a composite of many shots and direct observations.

Gorgeous Ruby-throated Hummer drawing, Matt! I enjoy seeing these birds when I visit my sister in PA. Our two common species on the west side of the mountains out here are Rufous and Anna's - though we do on rare occasions see a Calliope. They are definitely tough to photograph.

A backyard favorite... a rose-breasted grosbeak. Its hard not to like these pretty birds. They seem to have looks AND personality.

Transparent watercolor
Lana 140lb HP paper
9.75 x 6 inches
(detail shot of head is 1.5 x 2.5 inches)

WIP can be found here...

Attachments

• rbgros.jpg
    rbgros.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 61
  • rbgrosDETAIL.jpg
    rbgrosDETAIL.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 53
Another fine piece, Matty! I actually miss seeing Blue Jays out here in WA. Only very rarely does a vagrant show up in our area. We do have the Steller's Jay, however, though it's not quite as striking as the regular Blue Jay.

Hey John,

I don't know. The first time I saw a stellar's jay it knocked my socks off! Those are beautiful birds.

here is a non-avian subject. I found it in the bottom of my parrot's cage, so in a strange way it sort of relates. It was tiny... about 1/16th of an inch. Drawing this was a job for the macro gear and dissecting microscope.

Attachments

• TINYspider.gif
    TINYspider.gif
    54.6 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back