• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Bird - Tenerife (1 Viewer)

Whilst searching for Spectacled Warblers at Golf Del Sur in Tenerife I was taken by surprise when the attached bird flew directly in front of me. I assume it to be an escapee and was confident of identifying it upon my return from holiday however my world bird encyclopedia and the internet have not given me the id hoped for.

I would therefore appreciate help in id'ing the bird - that would then allow me to consider how it may have got there!

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Attachments

• Mystery Bird.jpg
    Mystery Bird.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 391
Long-tailed Glossy Starling- for its presence on Tenerife, see for instance this trip report. Welcome to BirdForum!
Many thanks for your superfast reply and kind welcome. Would appear that this could be an escapee but equally may have made it from Mauritania or similar.

However it got there it's certainly makes an interesting change from the Collared Doves and Blackbirds which are numerous in the area.

Back from Tenerife last week and 'the' Long-tailed Glossy Starling was present at Golf del Sur. Also took me by surprise as I hadn't seen the other trip reports of 'one' being around there.

It is an abundant West African species, natural arrival is not impossible. More a bird is abundant, more statistically it has chance to occur as a vagrant elsewhere...

Long-tailed Glossy Starling

Back from Tenerife last week and 'the' Long-tailed Glossy Starling was present at Golf del Sur. Also took me by surprise as I hadn't seen the other trip reports of 'one' being around there.

Hi Tom,

I was surprised to receive notification of your posting given that my sighting was five years ago! I've probably visited that location a dozen times since without any further sighting - I see that the species can have a life span in excess of 15 years so there is a possibility that it is the same bird.

I last visited this location in early July this year; I've always found this a reliable site for Barbary Partridge and saw good numbers this year. Other that that the main interest was Night and Grey Herons and Little and Cattle Egrets.

Did you have any particularly interesting sightings? Other than the Glossy Starling of course.

Best wishes,

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back