• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama - 3 birds with no ID (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird watchers!

Panama City, Red tail with yellowish breast and streaked back so I thought it should be easy to ID. But I came up with nothing after having searching high and low on the internet. I even had the Cadet to help me, but nothing.

Colon, Panama. There was a Grey and white bird that I thought should be a piece of cake to ID. But I have come up with nothing. I thought it was a Mocking bird but after having checked pictures I decided that it was not a Mocking bird.
I was on deck when a bird came flying almost hitting me. I got a look from forward, white bird with some rust coloured spots. Like it was molting and it looked like a plover.

I turned around and the top of the bird was white, or very light coloured in the sun shine. There were black lines, one on each side of the body. Like on my drawing.

I was looking for this pattern on the internet and I came up with ZIP.

Anyone that have any idea on the IDs from my very poor pictures?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• Grey and white bird.jpg
    Grey and white bird.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Red Tailed bird.jpg
    Red Tailed bird.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Impressive drawing.jpg
    Impressive drawing.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
1. Does not look like Eastern to me. Darker bar on face would not be visible - whole cap would be black. And you would see an obvious white tail-tip even at this angle.

Regarding the photo that is the first that I see: looks like an grey kingbird to me. I don't think this is very likely in Panama City, but nothing better.
for the second one, with reddish tail: Sulphur-bellied flycatcher does make sense to me.

Slightly verbose, but hardly long. I don't think it's appropriate to comment on a post one hasn't read.
It's a personal comment. It means too long for me to read given my circumstances at the time. It's not a comment on the poster. So perhaps tlfmdr, although in itself that's starting to sound like a tldr

Agreed with Gray Kingbird and Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher. Drawing may be Southern Lapwing???
Notice any black bar on the bottom of the tail, did it give the vibe of a larger birds- trailing legs?

Also you seem to be have a great birding trip- good luck for the rest of the trip.

Thank you all!

I will go for the Streaked/Sulphur-bellied Flycatcher option in eBird. And the Eastern Kingbird.

Thank you again, really appreciated!

Without birdforum it would not have been many birds on my ebird lists. But, in the middle of Gulf of Mexico, several hundred km North of Cancun and I had a friend visiting for a few minutes.

And this one I managed to ID all by lonesome

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 281.jpg
    281.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 282.jpg
    282.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 283.jpg
    283.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 5
Notice any black bar on the bottom of the tail, did it give the vibe of a larger birds- trailing legs?

Also you seem to be have a great birding trip- good luck for the rest of the trip.
Thank you!

I am sorry to say that I have run in to a little setback.

I received my birding books, the HELM FIELD GUIDE, Birds of Northern South America, a 3 kg brick turns out to be text only. Not one single picture so this will be of no help.

I bought the wrong book, there is the Volume 2 with the Plates and Maps. So I got Volume 1 Species Account, 86 US + freight down the drain.

I will see if I can get Volume 2 but the chances are slim as I leave for Mexico tonight.

So I am very happy that I have the birdforum or this trip would have been nothing but frustration

Kind Regards
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back