• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7 hours in Dubai - what to do, where to go? (1 Viewer)

Hi all

I'll be flying back to UK from Africa in November and unfortunately there's been a change of schedule with the flights meaning I have a 7-hour transit in Dubai From 7.30am to 2.30pm local time.
I'd hate to be stuck inside the airport all day so is it worth trying to get out and about for some birding or general sight-seeing and does anyone have any recommendations of where to go? Quite happy to get a taxi or public transport if places are not too far away.

Any information much appreciated, thanks.
Nick

Haven't been myself but if you travel often and frequently pass through cities like Dubai then a great book to pick up is 'where to watch birds in world cities'. I know Dubai is included in the book. If I remember rightly the author says Dubai creek and the city park are worth checking if you've only got a few hours.

The reason I know this is because Dubai is definately on my list of where to take the other half whilst getting a bit of crafty birding in aswell destinations. In fact there's a birding book title right there. Gap in the market I might look into one day!

There are two sites within easy reach -
1. Dubai creek (Ra's al-Khor), right in the centre. Two hides and plenty of birds.
2. Dubai Pivot fields, splendid locality with White-tailed Plovers, etc

To get an idea, click here for my report from a visit a few years back.

City park had a Red-flanked Bluetail, first ever for Arabian Peninsula I seem to remember, but other than that, not a great deal and I would use your precious time on one of the above sites (creek easiest to get to, pivot fields would need transport or taxi)

I spent a very nice day off in Safa Park last year, well worth a visit in my opinion.

Many thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I'll be heading for the creek and possibly the park. Pivot fields sounds interesting too.

Thanks again
Nick

If you are only in Dubai for a transfer, is it possible (permitted) to leave the airport?

UK residents do not need a visa, so should not be an issue. Many other nationalities, including some in the E.U. (eg Lithuanians) need a visa and would not be allowed out.

Just to update on this, I got to Dubai at 7.30 am and was out of the airport in 15 minutes. The Pivot Fields are around a 20 minute taxi ride which cost 60 dirhams (around £10 UK). I spent around 3 hours birding around until it got too hot and I got too tired! Certainly an interesting site and worth visiting if you have a long stopover as I did.
Birds seen: White-eared bulbul, Crested lark, Laughing dove, Common myna, Spur-winged lapwing, White-tailed lapwing (6), Sociable lapwing (2), White wagtail, Yellow wagtail (at least 4 races), Citrine wagtail, Zitting cisticola, Water pipit, Richards pipit, Marsh harrier, Sand partridge, Graceful prinia, Chestnut-bellied sandgrouse, Lesser grey shrike, Stonechat, Nile valley sunbird, Hoopoe, European roller, Isabelline shrike, Little bee-eaters and Indian silverbill.

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back