• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White winged gull, but which one? (1 Viewer)

T. Keith Bruce

Keen Photographer and Bird Novice.
Your help is needed as I am still confused with the ID's on various white winged gulls. The attached pic I think is a 2nd or 3rd year Iceland gull. Am I right?
Thanks to all

Keith Bruce

Attachments

• IMGP2059sml.jpg
    IMGP2059sml.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 307
Hi Keith,

This bird is an adult Iceland Gull. The primaries do appear a bit "brown/grey" rather than pure white so I'm not sure if this one falls under the Kumlien's Gull range. However, the bird can be aged by the bill pattern which is essentially 3-toned, greenish base, yellowish tip and red gonydeal angle. A second or third winter bird would show a more greenish tinged bill with a black ring near the tip.

In comparison, an Adult Glaucous would show a more uniform yellowish bill with the red gonydeal angle, not to mention appearing bigger.

Regards,

Agree with Iceland on this one; like MC, I'd suspect it could be Kumlien's race given the grey on the primaries, tho' not definitely so

From the gentle "cute" expresion I agree with Iceland.Note also the slim beak and small head.Glaucous looks more aggresive and is bulkier in most it's characteristics...

I think I saw this bird when I was in Fraserburgh the other weekend. It looked to me like a third winter nominate Iceland, although I never saw it properly on the deck. It looks a bit dark in the primaries but maybe not dark enough for Kumlien's. Interesting bird though - I think this was the first Iceland of this age I've ever seen.

Hi Andrew,

Would you say that bill pattern is consistant with a 3rd winter Iceland? Looks very much like adult/4th winter pattern to me. 3rd Winter Icelands seem to show a blackish tip/ring to the bill from what I've seen doing a bit of googling.

Regards,

Interesting question - as I said, I'm not too familiar with Iceland's of either 3rd or 4th winter. I just checked in Beaman and Madge and they say that 3rd winter should show a dark subterminal band but then in the illustration of 3rd winter Iceland, this is more-or-less invisible! I would say that, assuming this is the same bird I saw, it's very obviously brownish on the primaries and primary coverts, which would seem to indicate an immature bird of some sort.

My thanks to one and all for your observations and comments. Excellent sites mentioned in other Q/A's re the Kumliens, so I'll keep them bookmarked for future observations. Got some more pics at the w/e but nothing that anyone hasn't seen before, apart from this one with two guys together.

Attachments

• IMGP2298sml.jpg
    IMGP2298sml.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 206
Another nice picture Keith - both look like Glaucous Gulls. I'm quite struck by how the rear bird appears noticeably smaller than the bird at the front. There's often quite striking size variations between the sexes in the larger gulls.

In reality Andrew, they both were roughly the same size. The glaucous in the foreground looks bigger, possibly because it was sitting and the other standing. The biggest difference I noticed was the size of the eye, but then again, the nearest may have just finished 40 winks.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back