• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID help please, Iraq, April 2022 (2 Viewers)

bhutjoe

Hi, these photos were taken in April 5, 2022 in Ramadi along the Euphrates north of Baghdad. I have been struggling with them for a bit, clearly, and think they show a 2cy and an adult Armenian gull (there may be more than one of each in these photos) among a group of black-headed gulls.

For the 2cy, my reasoning was because of the amount of white on the underside and topside of the wings, and how brown the top of the wings are (especially photos 1cad, and 1cab), along with the brownish undertail coverts as separating it (them) from Lesser Black-backed or other gulls. Photo 1caa though seems to show some of the coverts being grey, suggesting a 3 cy? Similarly the back of younger large gull in 1cac seems to be quite grey as well, another 3cy?

For adult(s) I was going primarily by the lack of white spots on the outer primaries, though any photo of Armenian adult seems to show at least one white panel. However, Armenian I think has fewer primary feathers with a white panel than others. And several photos (e.g. 1ca4, 1cac) show a white tip to the innermost primary, which I have not found on any photos of any of the gulls recorded in Iraq. So a bit confused still.

All comments and critiques welcome:)
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1ca3.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ca3.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 42
  • fullsizeoutput_1ca4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ca4.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 46
  • fullsizeoutput_1ca5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ca5.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 46
  • fullsizeoutput_1cac.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1cac.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 40
  • fullsizeoutput_1cab.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1cab.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 36
  • fullsizeoutput_1caa.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1caa.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • fullsizeoutput_1ca9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ca9.jpeg
    846.4 KB · Views: 42
  • fullsizeoutput_1ca8.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ca8.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 36
  • fullsizeoutput_1cad.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1cad.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
Hi, I have bumped this up, hopefully this is okay, as I think I have come close to id'ing armenian gulls here in Iraq but have not received 100% confident confirmation, because the photos have not been what is required. I believe earlier attempts have resulted in comments about needing underwing shots, which I have been trying to obtain. I would appreciate any comments on these and what is needed to either confirm Armenian gulls or suggestions to other species or what is needed to confirm whatever species these might be. Or if better photos are needed:)
As always, all comments and critiques most welcome:)
thank you in advance
steve

Hi Steve,
yes, all the large gulls in these pics can be safely identified as L. armenicus. In the 3rd cycle I think there can be little doubt, looks very typical, and also in the first cycles/winters stubby bills with blunt tips and yellowish base, pale underwings, overall pale and nondescript pattern on 2nd generation coverts and scapulars and relatively narrow tail band shold exclude both cachinnans and barabensis.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back