• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking To Buy A Monopod (2 Viewers)

harold9649

Hi thinking about buying a monopod just been reading a bit about them i have never seen anyone using one so some advice would be appreciated.
I have Opticron MM2 scope and which i thought i might use the monopod for i also have a Panasonic FZ28 camera . I dont want to spend too much money on one i have a velbon tripod but it is a bit heavy and as i do a lot of walking i am trying to cut the weight down.
So ideas and thoughts please Pros & cons etc
Many Thanks
Harold

Harold,

IMO monopods are best suited for use with moderate magnifications around 10x to 20x.
If you are using bins in addition to the scope on a monopod, you have a problem of what to do with the scope when using the bins.
The very minor weight savings of carbon fibre as opposed to aluminium cannot really justify the much higher costs and stability is of much less importance than with tripods.
However, if you are tall do pay attention to the maximum extended height.
For a head you only need a tilt function as on the Manfrotto 234, which is cheap and light, though some do without a head completely.
I often use my 10x bins on a Manfrotto 685B, which I can thoroughly recommend for its convenience in use. It locks automatically when extended and can be collapsed again using the pistol grip.

John

"So ideas and thoughts please Pros & cons etc"

IMO even the very lightest tripod beats a monopod, with one exception... telephoto photography at racetracks and certain sporting events where mobility and small footprint are important. Even the weight differential is probably less than you might think.

For observing with a scope, photography with a scope, convenience (as John has pointed out, monopods are not self-standing), and photography generally, a tripod is far superior.

I've almost never used my monopod. You asked ;)

Harold,
I regularly use a Velbon RUP4 monopod with Nikon ED50 scope, which is similar to your MM2. I find it particularly useful for mixed habitat e.g. woods /open areas and lakes where the occasional extra magnification comes in useful. I love the speed with which I can undo two or three leg clips, extend the monopod and get onto the bird. I find it so much lighter, but more importantly, so much more compact on my shoulder than a tripod. A shoulder carrying strap is essential.
Technique is important – you need to persevere. There are a number of techniques in posts on this forum worth looking at. I extend all the monopod sections fully, place the foot on the ground in front and to the left of my feet and push the scope down into the ground at 30 -45 degrees to the vertical with my right hand on the top of the scope. I find that this damps out motions (and wind/breeze blasts) better than a vertical monopod. It also avoids having to adjust the height precisely to bring the scope to eye level – I just angle monopod left or right, towards or away from the vertical. It is obviously not as good as a tripod, but it is at least as good as binoculars.
In theory you need a head that will allow you to angle the scope upwards to look up into trees and into the sky. Whilst I have a lightweight 3-way head on my monopod, in practice I have never needed/used it. I get all the elevation adjustment I need by tilting the whole monopod and scope combination backwards or forwards. However, if you spend a lot of time on cliff edges looking at birds near vertically below you then an adjustable head would probably be useful ! A lightweight ball head may be more than adequate, as some heads can be 400g + which is not far off the weight of the monopod !
I have both the 27x fixed eyepiece and the 13-40 zoom. On-balance I find the zoom better than the 27X because I often don’t need more that 20x, and the lower the magnification the less the movement. 13x can be useful for a scan to pick up the bird with a quick zoom in to confirm the ID. Having said that I find the scope perfectly usable to 27X on a monopod, and most of time it works fine to 40X – but in depends on the strength of the wind. However, I sometimes reach for the brighter 27X e/p in the late afternoon/early evening on a dull overcast winter’s day (we seem to have had those for months now).
I have no problem with the “What do I do with it when I eat my sandwiches” issue – I place it on the ground or hang from a convenient gate/fence/tree. I don’t eat my sandwiches standing up, so my monopod doesn’t need to stand up !
I also have no problem with the “What do I do with an extended monopod while I am using my binoculars” issue. I lean it against my left shoulder and put my left arm around it onto the left side of my binoculars.
In respect of the lightest tripod beating a monopod this is down to your personal balance of weight/convenience in the habitats that you "bird". I also have the lightest tripod available for my height and straight scope and it weighs about 1100g. That’s pretty much double the weight of my monopod. I would however reiterate that the weight-saving is not as important to me as the increased convenience for the sort of birding I do, with the emphasis on “for the sort of birding I do”. YMMV.
Everyone has their own personal balance of weight/comfort/convenience/stability. Some have a one-size-fits-all set-up and accept the limitations. Some prefer to optimise, and have different kit for different circumstances. If you spend a lot of time scanning stationary flocks of thousands of gulls looking for colour rings a tripod pretty much has to be essential. If you only need a quick look then a monopod is fine. Everyone’s birding is different, and changes over time. Your optimal kit for today’s birding may not be optimal for tomorrow’s !
My advice is try a monopod. I agree with the post above re carbon fibre or aluminium – the weight saving and extra rigidity of a carbon fibre monopod over an aluminium one is IMO insignificant. I also agree that you need to pay attention to the maximum height, which needs to be higher than eye level (including the head) to compensate for different ground levels, and to get you extra height when you need to look up at a steep angle (if you need to do this). I chose a Velbon RUP4 because I am 6 foot and use a straight scope so I needed the height.
Apologies for the length of the post. I hope you find something useful.
Mark

I had to replace my old Lietz Tiltall monopod about a year ago. I bought a Gitzo aluminium model 4 sections together with the screw in 12cm spike (extra) I am highly delighted with this arrangement.I use it with a Nikon 60mm Fieldscope and a 30x75 Swarvoski draw tube.
The Gitzo monopod is relatively expensive but is both well made and neat.

Hi Harold
I have just recently purchased a Carbon fibre Velbon from China free postage arrived within 7 days. I am very pleased with this monopod, it comes with dual thread, 3 section only 19 inches when closed. Fully extended, comes above my 5.8 height, I mount a Canon 300 f2.8 with Jobo Black Window H/D head...it uses twist grip not clamps like the W/Express version...who charge postage.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110501796055&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Regards
Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back