• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (10 Viewers)

there are a few regulars who look out for the tk's peregrines though and they can also be seen perching atop the cathedral on huntly street.

I am one of them and am afforded a great view of them,via the 14th floor of St Nicholas House,where I work.Both Parents are still in the area,along with the screaming/noisy youngsters.They all put on a great show first light in the morning,chasing each other as well as the local Pigeons.

the peregrine breeds on triple kirks, when i lived in town i spent many a morning watching it bothering pigeons and starlings.

there was an rspb manny there a few years back with some spotting scopes and a wad of pamphlets educating the public about them, i don't think many folk were interested. there are a few regulars who look out for the tk's peregrines though and they can also be seen perching atop the cathedral on huntly street.

I look for them, never seen them... :-C

I look for them, never seen them... :-C

same here. I had a good look today as I drove down Daytona, but no luck.
(for any non Aberdonians, Daytona was the nickname given to the road that runs under Union Bridge.) It was a bit of a race track. Still is? :eek!:

Calvin, can you tell me how to find my way to Sheddocksley Woods please. It sounds a good place.

same here. I had a good look today as I drove down Daytona, but no luck.
(for any non Aberdonians, Daytona was the nickname given to the road that runs under Union Bridge.) It was a bit of a race track. Still is? :eek!:

Calvin, can you tell me how to find my way to Sheddocksley Woods please. It sounds a good place.

Sheddocksley woods is actually an extremely small wood, you can practically can see the end of it just by stepping in. There's only Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Woodpigeon and Magpie to be seen. There's also Red Squirrels, Deer and Fox. It's surrounded by farmland where you can possibly see Deer. There's two paths beside it, one that leads to Kingswells, the other Bucksburn. The Bucksburn one has the classic rectangle board (like the one in Den of Maidencraig car park) telling you about mice, Yellowhammer and Brambling. Never seen any myself but you can have a go. Basically if you have a walk around the Barvas Walk area you can't really miss it
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mm?t=h&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=57.157751,-2.176795&spn=0.004632,0.017982&z=15

An Arctic Skua off the harbour mouth this morning and also two Sparrowhawks over the city. Looks like there might be some decent seawatching conditions later this week and, as luck would have it, I'm not going to be here.

where are you off to this time Andrew? You still haven't been round for your 'introductary visit' (includes free cup of tea at the end of the tour) at my new place!

Sheddocksley woods is actually an extremely small wood, you can practically can see the end of it just by stepping in. There's only Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Woodpigeon and Magpie to be seen. There's also Red Squirrels, Deer and Fox. It's surrounded by farmland where you can possibly see Deer. There's two paths beside it, one that leads to Kingswells, the other Bucksburn. The Bucksburn one has the classic rectangle board (like the one in Den of Maidencraig car park) telling you about mice, Yellowhammer and Brambling. Never seen any myself but you can have a go. Basically if you have a walk around the Barvas Walk area you can't really miss it
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/mm?t=h&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=57.157751,-2.176795&spn=0.004632,0.017982&z=15

Thanks for this Calvin, I'll have a look some time and see what's there.

where are you off to this time Andrew? You still haven't been round for your 'introductary visit' (includes free cup of tea at the end of the tour) at my new place!

I'm in Prague at the moment, but not for too long. Funnily enough, I met an Aberdeen birder here this morning that I've never met in Aberdeen. It's a funny old world.

A disappointing day at the Ness today. Nothing at all round the Battery. 2 Redshanks feeding in a puddle on the golf course. More dogs than birds at the Bay of Nigg. Must avoid going there at lunch time! A few possible skuas going past but I was too slow to manage an ID. The most interesting thing I saw was a fine three masted tall ship on the horizon, white sails gleaming in the emerging sunlight.

A disappointing day at the Ness today. Nothing at all round the Battery. 2 Redshanks feeding in a puddle on the golf course. More dogs than birds at the Bay of Nigg. Must avoid going there at lunch time! A few possible skuas going past but I was too slow to manage an ID. The most interesting thing I saw was a fine three masted tall ship on the horizon, white sails gleaming in the emerging sunlight.

I wish there were certain areas where dogs were banned, like the Ness, Den of Maidencraig and the like.

Girdlness seemed pretty devoid of birds at noon today; offshore just a few Gannet passed and there was nothing at the Battery. The best to report in terms of passerine movement was a couple of Whetears by Greyhope Bay. I haven't lost faith in the Ness though; things will get better. ;)

Autumn is in the air in Torry today.30+ Swallows sitting on the wires outside my house (an annual Autumn thing) and a female Sparrowhawk terrorising the local Starlings in Balnagask Road.

Wont be long until the Waxwings are back..! ;)

A pretty disappointing weekend at the ness. The rains created the largest flood I've ever seen in Nigg bay but this failed to attract any decent waders...6 dunlin being the best of it. Loads of other birds around the water though, including hundreds of swallows.

No sign of any real migrants but a small passage of mepits, swallows, skylarks and alba wagtails.

Seawatching was also poor....a lot of teal going north on Friday, and a light southerly movement of red-throated divers on Sunday. Very few skuas and not a single shearwater. It's possible that the goodies were just too far offshore....there was a fair bit of movement a looonnnggg way out.

I wonder if the floods in Nigg Bay/ St Fittick's will be better in a few days when the water levels go down slightly. Sometimes floods can be best when they recede a little bit.

I'm back in town now and so too are the Bottlenose Dolphins - at least four this morning. Also a Peregrine wanging over the city centre and a Buzzard over Victoria Road.

they've already receded quite significantly since Friday. I took a few pics of Loch Nigg on friday which I'll post here should I get my finger out before the wine gets me.....

More dolphin action this morning. It's good to have them back around. Also two Arctic Skuas and a Bonxie. Lots of Gannets feeding around the harbour mouth too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back