• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vietnam (Central)- forest birds to ID (1 Viewer)

kiwiguy

I have had a couple of mornings out in some forest about 40km west of Nha Trang and have a couple of birds I cannot ID and a someI would like confirmations for.

(1) Confirmation that this is a Black headed Bulbul (and not a gayeti subspecies of Sultans Tit)

(2) confirmation that all Three of these birds are Asian Fairy Bluebirds.

(3) Are these a Woodshrike? To me, the size suggested Greater woodshrike, but there is no white rump patch. Does this mean they must be common woodshrike (or are there subspecies of Greater wooshrike without the white rump patch? (or am I way of track...?)

(4) I have no idea what this red headed bird is. Images in Robson suggest either grey sided or chestnut capped bush warbler, but I am not happy with either ID (and neither is suggested to be in this region). Any ideas???

(5) This guy looks familiar, but cannot place it.

Thanks all in advance

Wayne

Attachments

• confirmation Black headed Bulbul.jpg
    confirmation Black headed Bulbul.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 90
  • confirmation Asian Fairy bluebird.jpg
    confirmation Asian Fairy bluebird.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 88
  • possible woodshrike.jpg
    possible woodshrike.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 67
  • unknown red headed bird.jpg
    unknown red headed bird.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 90
  • bird seems familiar.JPG
    bird seems familiar.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 68
1. Neither. It's black-crested bulbul (crest is largely hidden behind the branch).
5. One of the tailorbirds?

Last edited:
Hi Wayne,

1. Is Black-crested as BuckeyeAZ says
2. Yes Asian Fairy Bluebird
3. Common Woodshrike
4. Chestnut-capped Babbler
5. Dark-necked Tailorbird due to the yellow vent

1. Black-crested Bulbul
2. Asian Fairy Bluebird
3. Large Woodshrike
4. Chestnut-capped Babbler
5. Tailorbird...hang on I'll look it up!

Ah cross-posted with Viator. Yep, agree with Dark-necked Tailorbird, but need convincing that it's CWS rather than LWS. I can find some images of LWS with dark-looking iris, but none of CWS that don't show the broad white super behind the eye.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back