• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

[Whiskered Tern:………. Tim Jones
Green-winged Teal:…. Trevor Jones
Red-necked Grebe:….. Mike Wakeman
Glossy Ibis:…………………Andy Gibb
Ring-billed Gul:……….. Stuart Croft
Wryneck:…………………..Craig Reed
Cattle Egret:……………. Dave Walker
Common Rosefinch:… Des Jennings

Night-heron:……………. Phil Andrews
Long-billed Dowitcher: Gert Corfield
Lesser Yellowlegs:……. John Belsey
Cirl Bunting:…………….. Simon Vickers
Black-throated Diver:. Roger P
Spotted Sandpiper:…. Andy Warr
Caspian Gull:………….. Kay D
Aquatic Warbler:……… Phil Quiney
Bean Goose:…………….. Graham LaB
Red Footed Falcon:….. Andy Pitt
Marsh Sandpiper:……. Mark Peacock
Purple Sandpiper:……. Terry Hinett
Great Reed Warbler:…Gary Prescott

Little Bittern.............Mike Wheeler
Common crane..........John Ridley
Red Throated Diver.....Jon Shhh
Penduline Tit.............Mike Inskip

Those in red have paid ..

Where's my stilt sandpiper John !8-P I was not joking only hedging my bets !!

MOORS POOL
2 Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swans + 5 cygnets, 1 Cormorant, 5 Teal, 8 Gadwall, 30 Tufted Duck, 167 Coot, 49 Mallard, 11 Moorhen, c300 BH Gull, 12 LBB Gull, 7 Common Terns (4 adults, 1 fledged juv + 2 chicks), 5 GC Grebe + 3 chicks, 9+ Little Grebes (of varying sizes, including 2 chicks on Broadmeadow Pool)

NORTH MOORS
Normally I would roll the North Moors into the summary of the main Moors Pool but not today! The water held 8 Mallard and 2 Teal but the real interest was in the scrub at the northern end, so carefully managed over the winter by the Tuesday work parties. In addition to good numbers of Chiffchaff, tits and finches, the area also held a Jay, 2+ Blackcap, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, a family party of 4 Common Whitethroat and most encouragingly, a family party of Spotted Flycatcher (2 adults and 2 fresh juveniles). One of the adults caught a Peacock butterfly which appeared almost as big as the bird itself! Very poor phone camera shot attached. A dead shrew was on the path.
The Spot Flys were very close to the path; if present tomorrow please give them plenty of space and stand well back. I spent most of my viewing time standing by the yew tree on the eastern path looking down into the NE corner.

SAILING POOL
2 GC Grebe - 1 adult + 1 fledged juv, 8 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 3 Canada Geese, 60 Mallard, Grey Wagtail. A slim tern species flew south as I arrived on the car park - I got an Arctic feel about it but not enough to call.

FLASHES
Water level approx 0.43. Juv LRP, 21 Curlew, 5 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand, 67 Lapwing, 14 Teal, 64 Mallard, c500 BH Gull, 3 LBB Gull, 3 Coot, 17 Moorhen, c80 Canada Geese in transmitter field + Greylag Goose heard, good numbers of Linnets coming down to the foreshore, juvenile Cuckoo being fed by Reed Warblers. Feeders were topped up.

The Lewis' reported a pair of Redstarts and a Roe Deer in the cereal field.

The dead Shrew looks like a Water Shrew (white ears? - but its head looks a bit mangled)

Ruff still present mid-afternoon amongst Gull flock at the back of the Flashes. Heres a record shot.

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 15.37.06.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 15.37.06.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 133
A few quirky pics from today.
The BHG with the broken wing is still with us. He feeds by stamping his feet in the margin just like an LRP.
The Bullfinch had the white item attached to his bill but was feeding OK. It seemed to be stuck on.
Finally a nice Curlew silhouette taken early(ish)!.
It was nice to meet Elaine who was on her second visit to the reserve. Hope you read this and keep taking the pics and post some on the forum.:t:

I was the guy in the hide when Elaine came in....nice meeting you bob...

Saturday 10th August 0900-1730

Lots of good coverage today - bumped into Mike W, Gert, Jared, Phil Q, Dave J, Vern, Tracey, Janette, Paul A, Paul R, Si and Guy, Phil W, Bob W, Andy P and Phil & Margaret E amongst others. Lets hope this number of eyes continues right through August and September.

I have combined all of today's sightings into this report, so not all are neccessarily mine - a total of 71 species were recorded. Vern was hanging on till dark at the Flashes so may add a couple more.

SAILING POOL
37 Mallard, 10 Coot, 2 Common Tern, 2 GC Grebe - 1 adult + 1 fledged young, 3 Moorhen, Little Owl on Hobden Hall Farm chimney, Kingfisher, Hobby.
Later 23 Greylag Geese, 105 Canada Geese + Ross's Goose.

FLASHES
Ruff (juv male), 7 Green Sand, 3 Common Sand, 87 Lapwing, 9 Curlew, 17 Teal, 83 Mallard, 2 Canada Geese, 3 LBB Gull (adult + its 2 young), 4 Coot, 15 Moorhen, 1 Common Tern, Grey Heron over, several young Pied Wagtail, no LRP, Clouded Yellow over transmitter field, several Rook and a Raven over, Sparrowhawk, 3 Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon on the masts.
The area by the steps held juv Cuckcoo, Willow Tit in the oak tree, 2 Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat and Garden Warbler.

NORTH MOORS
Family party of Spotted Fly first thing (2 adults + 2 juvs) with at least 1 adult + 1 juv later by the pool at the north end of the North Moors, Garden Warbler, 2 Common Whitethroat, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, Jay.

MOORS POOL
3 Gadwall, 2 Teal, 31 Mallard, 57 Canada Geese, Ross's Goose, 22 Greylag Geese (presumably same flock as later seen at Sailing Pool), 4 Grey Heron, 3 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, Kingfisher, 45 Tufted Duck + many unfledged young, 169 Coot, 15 Moorhen, 10 Lapwing, 2 Common Tern + 2 chicks, Water Rail on west side, 6 adult GC Grebe + 3 chicks (one notably smaller than ther other two), minimum of 14 Little Grebe (Broadmeadow: adult + 2 chicks; Amys Marsh area: 1 adult + 2 fledged young + 2 chicks; west side: 2 adults + 4 fledged young, Lesser Whitethroat, Sparrowhawk.

I've also got to go away and look at some gull literature about an interesting larger gull on the Moors Pool.

Just going through some of my old photo's and have a few butterflies that I need your help to ID please

Numbers 2 & 4 I think are the same species and just added number 5 have a small feeling it could be a juv goldfinch but could someone confirm please.

Attachments

• 000_3447.JPG
    000_3447.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 000_3953.JPG
    000_3953.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 000_3977.JPG
    000_3977.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 000_4236.JPG
    000_4236.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0489.JPG
    DSC_0489.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 119
Water Rail at Moors Pool

After you left Phil, the Water Rail (Juv.) came out to play.

Attachments

• 08-10-2013_174037(1b).jpg
    08-10-2013_174037(1b).jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 08-10-2013_174037(3).jpg
    08-10-2013_174037(3).jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 08-10-2013_174037(5).jpg
    08-10-2013_174037(5).jpg
    470 KB · Views: 91
  • 08-10-2013_174037(6).jpg
    08-10-2013_174037(6).jpg
    398 KB · Views: 88
Lots of good coverage today - bumped into Mike W, Gert, Jared, Phil Q, Dave J, Vern, Tracey, Janette, Paul A, Paul R, Si and Guy, Phil W, Bob W, Andy P and Phil & Margaret E amongst others. Lets hope this number of eyes continues right through August and September.

I have combined all of today's sightings into this report, so not all are neccessarily mine - a total of 71 species were recorded. Vern was hanging on till dark at the Flashes so may add a couple more.

SAILING POOL
37 Mallard, 10 Coot, 2 Common Tern, 2 GC Grebe - 1 adult + 1 fledged young, 3 Moorhen, Little Owl on Hobden Hall Farm chimney, Kingfisher, Hobby.
Later 23 Greylag Geese, 105 Canada Geese + Ross's Goose.

FLASHES
Ruff (juv male), 7 Green Sand, 3 Common Sand, 87 Lapwing, 9 Curlew, 17 Teal, 83 Mallard, 2 Canada Geese, 3 LBB Gull (adult + its 2 young), 4 Coot, 15 Moorhen, 1 Common Tern, Grey Heron over, several young Pied Wagtail, no LRP, Clouded Yellow over transmitter field, several Rook and a Raven over, Sparrowhawk, 3 Buzzard, Peregrine Falcon on the masts.
The area by the steps held juv Cuckcoo, Willow Tit in the oak tree, 2 Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat and Garden Warbler.

NORTH MOORS
Family party of Spotted Fly first thing (2 adults + 2 juvs) with at least 1 adult + 1 juv later by the pool at the north end of the North Moors, Garden Warbler, 2 Common Whitethroat, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, Jay.

MOORS POOL
3 Gadwall, 2 Teal, 31 Mallard, 57 Canada Geese, Ross's Goose, 22 Greylag Geese (presumably same flock as later seen at Sailing Pool), 4 Grey Heron, 3 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, Kingfisher, 45 Tufted Duck + many unfledged young, 169 Coot, 15 Moorhen, 10 Lapwing, 2 Common Tern + 2 chicks, Water Rail on west side, 6 adult GC Grebe + 3 chicks (one notably smaller than ther other two), minimum of 14 Little Grebe (Broadmeadow: adult + 2 chicks; Amys Marsh area: 1 adult + 2 fledged young + 2 chicks; west side: 2 adults + 4 fledged young, Lesser Whitethroat, Sparrowhawk.

I've also got to go away and look at some gull literature about an interesting larger gull on the Moors Pool.

And a House Sparrow in hedge to the Flashes car park this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back