• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

Photo's from today

Attachments

• Cuckoo A IMG_4040.jpg
    Cuckoo A IMG_4040.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Cuckoo A IMG_4046.jpg
    Cuckoo A IMG_4046.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Cuckoo A IMG_4078.jpg
    Cuckoo A IMG_4078.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Curlew & Lapwings A IMG_4019.jpg
    Curlew & Lapwings A IMG_4019.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Curlew A IMG_4018.jpg
    Curlew A IMG_4018.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 57
As promised few snaps from today
1=clouded yellow
2=spotted flycatcher
3=juv cuckoo

Attachments

• Clouded Yellow UW IMG_6993.jpg
    Clouded Yellow UW IMG_6993.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 87
  • spotted flycatcher uw 1 IMG_7008.jpg
    spotted flycatcher uw 1 IMG_7008.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 140
  • CUCKOO UW 8813 IMG_7049.jpg
    CUCKOO UW 8813 IMG_7049.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 95
Early start at the Flashes but nothing significant to report - juv LRP, Willow Tit showing well again at the feeding station and 2 juv Cuckoo seen along the path.

Vern, Andy and Alan there when I left so watch this space..

Hi Phil the gull concerned was very similar to the one we were discussing the other day the only difference being it had a dark mark on the end of the beak, much lighter in colour and tail feathers were mainly black with a patch of white at the tip, about the same size as the Lesser black backed which it was happy to be around, as I said it did appear to leave with the LBBG after the heron flew low over the pool.
As I was counting the BHG at the time I didn't take a photo (teach me to count the gulls) but I'm sure someone else will be able to tell you more as there where one or two other people in the hide at the time unless they don't come on here.

Last edited:
Now for a guessing game I have no idea what species this is but trust me there is a bird in this picture, it may be the back of the bird and the tail but any help in IDing it would be great taken from the Broad walk bridge by the Hen Brook hide looking to the left and in the bottom of a bush.

Taken while trying to get a good photograph of a dragon fly (Brown hawker I think it was)

First thought was a great tit but I am unsure.

Attachments

• DSC_0484.JPG
    DSC_0484.JPG
    376.2 KB · Views: 153
Now for a guessing game I have no idea what species this is but trust me there is a bird in this picture, it may be the back of the bird and the tail but any help in IDing it would be great taken from the Broad walk bridge by the Hen Brook hide looking to the left and in the bottom of a bush.

Taken while trying to get a good photograph of a dragon fly (Brown hawker I think it was)

First thought was a great tit but I am unsure.

I think your instinct is right Ade - the backside of a Great Tit I reckon :t:

A few quirky pics from today.
The BHG with the broken wing is still with us. He feeds by stamping his feet in the margin just like an LRP.
The Bullfinch had the white item attached to his bill but was feeding OK. It seemed to be stuck on.
Finally a nice Curlew silhouette taken early(ish)!.
It was nice to meet Elaine who was on her second visit to the reserve. Hope you read this and keep taking the pics and post some on the forum.:t:

Attachments

• BHG.jpg
    BHG.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 80
  • bull.jpg
    bull.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 86
  • cur.jpg
    cur.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 59
Anyone know anything about a report of a flock of Egyptian Geese dropping into the Moors Pool on Wednesday (as per east hide log book) - initials DC + JAC??

Last edited:
As promised please find attached the history of the colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwit recorded at the Flashes on the 20th July:

29-Aug-08 - Iken, River Alde, Suffolk, E England (ringed in the nest)21-Mar-09 - Orfordness, Suffolk, E England
13-Aug-09 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
13-Aug-09 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
14-Aug-09 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
07-Aug-10 - Orfordness, Suffolk, E England
08-Aug-10 - Orfordness, Suffolk, E England
11-Sep-10 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
12-Sep-10 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
13-Sep-10 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
14-Sep-10 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
15-Sep-10 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
12-Jul-11 - RSPB Harvegate Island, Suffolk, E England
22-Jan-12 - Hollesley Marsh RSPB reserve, SE of Woodbridge, Suffolk, E England
27-Jan-12 - Hollesley Marsh RSPB reserve, SE of Woodbridge, Suffolk, E England
25-Aug-12 - Orfordness, Suffolk, E England
08-Jan-13 - Botany Marshes, west of Snape bridge, Suffolk, E England
20-Jul-13 - Upton Warren NR, Worcestershire, C England

Looks like it only ventured out of Suffolk once in five years!

Although there have been at least a couple of suspects in the past this looks to be the first confirmed limosa for Worcs.

They are probably not as rare as we think and certainly overlooked as they are not easy to pick out but should be identifiable given good views (and ideally with supporting photographs).

There are some fairly recent records from Slimbridge (pics here) and I thought this was a contender at Westport Lake (Staffs) a couple of years ago.

A useful article is this, concerning a juvenile in Bucks.

Brian

Friday 9th August 3:15 - 7:00

MOORS POOL
2 Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swans + 5 cygnets, 1 Cormorant, 5 Teal, 8 Gadwall, 30 Tufted Duck, 167 Coot, 49 Mallard, 11 Moorhen, c300 BH Gull, 12 LBB Gull, 7 Common Terns (4 adults, 1 fledged juv + 2 chicks), 5 GC Grebe + 3 chicks, 9+ Little Grebes (of varying sizes, including 2 chicks on Broadmeadow Pool)

NORTH MOORS
Normally I would roll the North Moors into the summary of the main Moors Pool but not today! The water held 8 Mallard and 2 Teal but the real interest was in the scrub at the northern end, so carefully managed over the winter by the Tuesday work parties. In addition to good numbers of Chiffchaff, tits and finches, the area also held a Jay, 2+ Blackcap, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, a family party of 4 Common Whitethroat and most encouragingly, a family party of Spotted Flycatcher (2 adults and 2 fresh juveniles). One of the adults caught a Peacock butterfly which appeared almost as big as the bird itself! Very poor phone camera shot attached. A dead shrew was on the path.
The Spot Flys were very close to the path; if present tomorrow please give them plenty of space and stand well back. I spent most of my viewing time standing by the yew tree on the eastern path looking down into the NE corner.

SAILING POOL
2 GC Grebe - 1 adult + 1 fledged juv, 8 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 3 Canada Geese, 60 Mallard, Grey Wagtail. A slim tern species flew south as I arrived on the car park - I got an Arctic feel about it but not enough to call.

FLASHES
Water level approx 0.43. Juv LRP, 21 Curlew, 5 Green Sand, 2 Common Sand, 67 Lapwing, 14 Teal, 64 Mallard, c500 BH Gull, 3 LBB Gull, 3 Coot, 17 Moorhen, c80 Canada Geese in transmitter field + Greylag Goose heard, good numbers of Linnets coming down to the foreshore, juvenile Cuckoo being fed by Reed Warblers. Feeders were topped up.

The Lewis' reported a pair of Redstarts and a Roe Deer in the cereal field.

Attachments

• Spot fly.jpg
    Spot fly.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 144
  • shrew.jpg
    shrew.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
updated prediction list for a new reserve species

[Whiskered Tern:………. Tim Jones
Green-winged Teal:…. Trevor Jones
Red-necked Grebe:….. Mike Wakeman