• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden 8x42 ED roofs - Anyone know more? (1 Viewer)

KorHaan

Hi all,

When rereading Jan Meijerink's review page I noticed a new review of the Eden Quality HD and ED bins.

The bins seem great with excellent specs, especially the 8x42 ED.
Here's a link to the page that shows them all:

http://www.knivesandtools.nl/nl/pt/-eden-quality-verrekijker-ed-8x42.htm

Has anyone tried one in the field, or owned one?
I'm especially interested in the 8x42 ED model.
Price seems to be too good to be true: € 279.

Best regards,

Ronald

So it seems, thanks for that, Kevin.

The 8x42 ED has a lot of good things, one being the 142 m/1000m FOV.
Quite good for an 8x42. Edge sharpness is quite good too. Focus wheel rotation from near to far is only 340 degrees, so it's a fast focuser.
For that price I'm tempted to order a pair; I'm happy enough with my Canon 10x30 IS's but the truth is, I'm having trouble to track flying birds with them. The modest FOV and the relatively slow focusing of the Canons are the cause of me missing birds, especially small ones.

Best regards,

Ronald

Just ordered a pair of the Eden 8x42 ED.
Will be here in two days, I'll give my impressions then.

Best regards,

Ronald

I received my Eden Quality 8x42 ED's yesterday, from the company mentioned in my first post. Delivery was prompt, and within 24 hours like they'd promised. Excellent.
After opening the package I found a quite small black box that contained the binoculars in their bag. Also a strap, cleaning cloth and instruction leaflet, but no eyepiece caps nor objective caps.
On my inquiry they apologized for forgetting the caps, they'd tested the bins before packaging and forgotten to put the caps back on. I received both today, promptly, a flexed bridge rubber rainguard that fits the eyepieces snuggly, and two hard plastic objective caps with two springs that fit inside the objective tubes and can't be detached or lost by accident. Excellent.
The bino's themselves are quite small and lightweight for a 8x42 model, covered in nice-to-touch rubber armour, providing a comfortable grip. The handling is easy and feels very good. The objective end's rubber widens forming a distinct ring of 8 mm thick around the objectives. Not sure if it's just a design folly, but it has the advantage that, when you put the bins upright on the table, they stand on the objective rings like an earthquake-proof Japanese building. They are unlikely to topple when you try them to, this is a nice feature.

The diopter ring is located in between the focus wheel and the central hinge, and easily moved and adjusted with a small notch. The eyecups are three-position twist-ups, one middle position between fully in and fully out. They are firm, and operate smoothly, and hold their position well.

The insides of the tubes are well black-matted, with no trace of specks inside.

The view through the bins is very sharp, colours appearing quite neutral ( as opposed to my Canon IS bins which show a slight yellowish bias ), no CA under demanding lighting circumstances. FOV is excellent, wide with decent edge sharpness, though not as good as my Canon 10x30 IS's which have field flatteners.
I can see the full FOV with my large specs, eyerelief is adequate.
The focus wheel turns from near to far in just one turn, and is firm, with no slack but not buttery smooth.
The views are very relaxed, though I admit I'm being used now to stabilized bins for more than a year, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison.

All in all, for the price I paid, € 279.- , these are very good bins; they perform great, they just miss the WOW - factor that truly great bins provide.

I can recommend them to anyone who is looking for good bins for a small price.
I haven't been out in bad weather yet, we're in a fair weather period; the bins are said to be water- and fogproof, and filled with Argon gas. I haven't been able to try them at dusk, but I intend to and compare them to my 10x30 and 18x50 IS Canons.

For now, they replace my 10x30 IS's when I'm taking my 18x50 IS's as well. They are definitely more suited to track fast flying birds like swallows and swifts than my Canon 10x30 IS's. That's what I had hoped for in the first place, and I'm glad they deliver in this respect.

One final remark: it's the first time ever that I ordered a pair of bins over the internet, so sight-unseen. Had I found these in a shop, and tried them before purchase, I'm not sure wether I would actually have bought them. The focus wheel being not so smooth as I would like, but since it's a fast focuser and the depth of field is good, I can live with that one shortcoming.

Best regards,

Ronald

Ronald:

Good of you to report on the Eden. I have not heard of that brand in the US, so don't have much to offer here. But to hear that this is your only "non" IS binocular is interesting.

Many here do not have experience with the image stablilized, and for me I have no desire.

I just enjoy the view as it is and don't need any battery powered help.

Jerry

Ronald:

Good of you to report on the Eden. I have not heard of that brand in the US, so don't have much to offer here. But to hear that this is your only "non" IS binocular is interesting.

Many here do not have experience with the image stablilized, and for me I have no desire.

I just enjoy the view as it is and don't need any battery powered help.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I hadn't heard of that brand too, until I noticed there was a review on Jan Meijerink's site.
That alone made me interested, and when I found out the review was very favourable, I became really interested.

Maybe I'm entering a non-stabilized period; I once said I would never go back to non-stabilized bins, but apparently the addiction wears off. For instance, I don't use my 18x50 IS's handheld very often anymore, but prefer to mount them on my tripod. Good as the stabilized view handheld might be, the sharpness is even better seen from a tripod. Then the optics really come into their own.
One thing that is really good about the 18x50's on a tripod, is that in strong winds you get a very calm image when the IS is turned on. Excellent in seawatching conditions, if you don't have a 20-pound tripod, with gale force blowing.

I would have prefered a Swarovision but I haven't by far got the money, so settled for the Eden. For now, and the near future, I'm equipped with decent optics.
But I'm still thinking of getting a Canon 10x42 L IS, the top model from the IS line. I'm not totally off the stabilization route! o:D

Best regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back