• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper HD 8x42 or Alpen Teton ED HD Abbe 8x42? (1 Viewer)

SIGDMER

United States
I am about to order my first pair of binoculars. After seeking an education on this forum and elsewhere would appreciate your input and recommendations regarding the following two similarly priced binoculars – Vortex Viper HD 8x42 vs. Alpen Teton ED HD Abbe-Koenig 8x42. I note that many high end binoculars use the Abbe style roof prism found in the Teton, is this a distinct optical advantage vs. the Viper without Abbe? Other considerations between these two binoculars relative to build quality, etc?

Much written about the Vortex Viper HD, I have found relatively little information about the Alpen Teton ED HD Abbe (I did note one glowing report on this forum regarding the Teton). Other binoculars I should absolutely consider in this general price range? Thanks!

The Alpen sound very interesting because of the AK prisms, and they get good reviews, but the FOV at 390 feet is a little on the small side compared to the Viper which is 408 feet, and you would notice the difference. But the deal killer for me on the Alpen's would be the 37 oz. weight! I don't know of any other 8x42's that are that heavy! It must be because of the bigger AK prism. Even with the AK prisms the Alpen 10x50 only has 89% transmission so not really sensational transmission if the Alpen 8x42 has similar transmission being the same design. If you want an 8x42 roof the Viper is a very good choice, or I would also look at the "new" Nikon M7 8x42 which has a 435 foot FOV and only weighs 23 oz. If you haven't considered a porro there is always the old standby Nikon E2 8x30 at that price point.

Thank you denco for your useful insight, much appreciated!

Buy both and test them, then keep the one you like best. Then you will know which is best for you.

Sigdmer

The info Dennis gave you is wrong. The Teton HD 8x42 weighs 29 oz and has a transmission value of 92% according to the company website.
And for anyone to tell you that you will notice a difference between a 390 vs 408 ft FOV at 1000 yds is ludicrous in my opinion.

I have no experience with the Teton model but I have had the Apex, Wings and Rainier models in different configurations in the past and still have a pair of 8x32 Alpen Rainiers. Despite the fact that my 11 year old 8x32's do NOT have ED glass, they are still very highly rated and ranked at Allbinos, and by me. I have always felt that the Alpen brand was much unnoticed and under appreciated on this forum.

The original Alpen company had financial difficulties some years back but was bought up by Explore Scientific which also has the Bresser and Vixen brands.

You can find more info here: https://bresserusa.com/collections/binoculars

Tom

Sigdmer

The info Dennis gave you is wrong. The Teton HD 8x42 weighs 29 oz and has a transmission value of 92% according to the company website.
And for anyone to tell you that you will notice a difference between a 390 vs 408 ft FOV at 1000 yds is ludicrous in my opinion.

I have no experience with the Teton model but I have had the Apex, Wings and Rainier models in different configurations in the past and still have a pair of 8x32 Alpen Rainiers. Despite the fact that my 11 year old 8x32's do NOT have ED glass, they are still very highly rated and ranked at Allbinos, and by me. I have always felt that the Alpen brand was much unnoticed and under appreciated on this forum.

The original Alpen company had financial difficulties some years back but was bought up by Explore Scientific which also has the Bresser and Vixen brands.

You can find more info here: https://bresserusa.com/collections/binoculars

Tom
That is what I get for using B&H for my weight specifications. Half the time they are wrong! I thought that weight was way too heavy. 29 oz. is still quite a bit heavier than the Viper or M7, but not that bad, especially if they have AK prisms. If the Tetons's have 92% transmission, that is quite good and makes more sense with the AK prisms. It depends on the person, but in my experience I usually notice an 18-foot difference in FOV. For example, I can tell the difference between the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and the EL 8x32, which I believe is about 20 feet. Some binoculars FOV are actually bigger than the specifications say, though, so you can't totally rely on that either. I noticed that on the GPO HD 10x42 that say they have a 336 foot FOV, but it seems much wider than the specifications. I agree with you on the Alpen Rainiers because I had the Alpen Rainiers HD 8x42 once, and they were really sharp and bright binoculars with an excellent build quality. Interesting that Alpen was bought up by Explore Scientific, which has Bresser and Vixen now. Thanks, for the correction. I am not going to use B&H for my specifications anymore! The Tetons's interest ME now because you don't see many AK prism roofs in an 8x42 any more especially at the $500 price point.

Last edited:
Thank you denco for your useful insight, much appreciated!
I made an error using B&H for my specifications on the Alpen's. From the Alpen website, they weigh 29 oz. and have 92% transmission and with AK prisms, I would definitely try them next to the Viper's and the M7 if you can.

Sigdmer

If I was looking for an 8x42 for $500 or less I would also consider the German Precision Optics GPO Passion ED 8x42

Here is a thread that has the Viper and GPO mentioned with the member ultimately seeming to choose the GPO

Looking for new binos 300-500£: help me to reduce my list of options plz
Me too. I am very impressed with GPO binoculars, having the GPO Passion HD 10x42. I would like to try the ED 8x42 also. I wonder how the bigger aperture GPO HD's are, like the 8.5x50? Have you ever tried any?

Thank you all for your input, clearly more research needed on my part before deciding. Will check out GPO for sure.
Likely too expensive for my planned budget but any experience with or opinions regarding the GPO Passion HD 8x42 vs Vortex Razor HD 8x42?
Not trying to muddy the water, mostly curious about these binoculars(Passion HD, Razor) from a reference/education perspective. Are they dramatically better with regards to optics vs. a Viper HD or GPO Passion ED in 8x42?
Thanks again for the help.

Thank you all for your input, clearly more research needed on my part before deciding. Will check out GPO for sure.
Likely too expensive for my planned budget but any experience with or opinions regarding the GPO Passion HD 8x42 vs Vortex Razor HD 8x42?
Not trying to muddy the water, mostly curious about these binoculars(Passion HD, Razor) from a reference/education perspective. Are they dramatically better with regards to optics vs. a Viper HD or GPO Passion ED in 8x42?
Thanks again for the help.
What is your budget? And what are you going to do with them and how often? You have gone from the original $500 range into the $1000 range with the Passion HD/Razor HD.

What is your budget? And what are you going to do with them and how often? You have gone from the original $500 range into the $1000 range with the Passion HD/Razor HD.
Plan to primarily use for viewing wildlife. Live in rural Midwest - deer, turkeys, birds, etc. Viewing range 50 -300 yards on average.
Some scenery viewing out west. I mention the other binoculars (Passion HD/Razor HD) for input as to "how much better" they are than Viper HD.
If significant improvement may consider spending more money but less than 1K (assumes finding good pricing on higher end unit or maybe used market?). Hope that makes sense.

Plan to primarily use for viewing wildlife. Live in rural Midwest - deer, turkeys, birds, etc. Viewing range 50 -300 yards on average.
Some scenery viewing out west. I mention the other binoculars (Passion HD/Razor HD) for input as to "how much better" they are than Viper HD.
If significant improvement may consider spending more money but less than 1K (assumes finding good pricing on higher end unit or maybe used market?). Hope that makes sense.
You will without a doubt notice a difference going from a $500 binocular to a $1000 binocular. It is a pretty big jump in the quality of view. Probably more so than the jump from $1000 to $2000. You would enjoy the view of the deer, turkeys, and especially birds more with the $1000 binoculars. There are a lot of choices in the $1000 range, so it is probably best to try some different models to see what works best for you. Some of the good ones are the Maven B1.2, Zeiss Conquest HD, Razor HD and the GPO Passion HD.

You will without a doubt notice a difference going from a $500 binocular to a $1000 binocular. It is a pretty big jump in the quality of view. Probably more so than the jump from $1000 to $2000. You would enjoy the view of the deer, turkeys, and especially birds more with the $1000 binoculars. There are a lot of choices in the $1000 range, so it is probably best to try some different models to see what works best for you. Some of the good ones are the Maven B1.2, Zeiss Conquest HD, Razor HD and the GPO Passion HD.
Thanks again denco for your help and insight!

Dear Dennis,
Thank you again for your assistance with my questions.
I just read your post from late last year in which you picked the Conquest HD as your preferred binocular of those you evaluated. You were also very positive about the Viper HD so I went ahead and ordered one. A good start I hope for my first binocular?
You seemed interested in the Alpen Teton with Abbe Prism. Through today, “Trophy Optics”
has this binocular on sale for $450 with discount. Best price I found. Just FYI. If you eventually have experience with this unit, will you please let me know what your opinion of it is? I am interested in it as well, as a potential next acquisition. You would choose 8x42 I assume?
Thanks again,
Don

Dear Dennis,
Thank you again for your assistance with my questions.
I just read your post from late last year in which you picked the Conquest HD as your preferred binocular of those you evaluated. You were also very positive about the Viper HD so I went ahead and ordered one. A good start I hope for my first binocular?
You seemed interested in the Alpen Teton with Abbe Prism. Through today, “Trophy Optics”
has this binocular on sale for $450 with discount. Best price I found. Just FYI. If you eventually have experience with this unit, will you please let me know what your opinion of it is? I am interested in it as well, as a potential next acquisition. You would choose 8x42 I assume?
Thanks again,
Don
The Viper HD is a good choice, and they have an excellent warranty. Thanks, for the tip on the Alpen, but I probably have enough binoculars for now! If I ever try one, I will let you know if I like it. I would probably get an 8x42 as I think it is the best all around size for me. Good luck with your Viper, and I hope it works out for you.

The Viper HD is a good choice, and they have an excellent warranty. Thanks, for the tip on the Alpen, but I probably have enough binoculars for now! If I ever try one, I will let you know if I like it. I would probably get an 8x42 as I think it is the best all around size for me. Good luck with your Viper, and I hope it works out for you.
Dennis,

Another question(s) please. Purchased/ordered the 8x42 Vortex Viper HD as indicated in my earlier message. Viper arrived and I like all aspects including the wide view. Not sure about the resolution vs. other binoculars given this is the only one I have at present. My career as a clinical microbiologist has exposed me to some really precise optics/microscopes. Thought the Viper might provide a little sharper image but they are fine, can certainly easily see what I want to see. I paid $350 + tax delivered so a good value I believe based on your positive Viper HD comments. Good everyday general use (8x42). Hopefully I’m not being shortsighted with my less expensive purchase!

Next Topic: Considering also the purchase of a higher powered binocular - longer distance day viewing and check out the night sky/moon. I saw your comments about your Vortex Razor UHD 18x56. Do you still have it and is it still a favorite? I looked at the powerful less expensive offerings by Vortex (Diamondback HD 15x56, Kaibab HD 18x56) but these have IPD minimums that are greater than I can accommodate due to larger tube size I assume. I can barely expand the 56-75 mm IPD range of the Viper HD 8x42 to see clearly. UHD 18x56 (IPD 56-76 mm) due to A-K Prism I assume (I always seem to want to come back to A-K prisms!). Would the Viper HD 12x50 offer any significant advantage over the 8x42 I have for night views of the sky/moon? I am guessing not much given the offerings of celestial binoculars. Seem to keep running into my IPD issue. Any ideas? Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back