• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to get rid of Gackles! (1 Viewer)

joni1129

The gackles have found my feeding area and come in a flock. They chase all songbirds away and eat pounds of my seed. I bought a songbird feeder (with wire enclosure for only smaller birds) But they are still a nuisance.

Help!

Debbie

If you leave the feeders empty for a week or two sometimes they will move on. That hasn't worked for me because they tend to breed in or near my yard, but if yours hang out in a flock you might have more luck.

The other option is to change seeds. Safflower seed is disliked by squirrels and grackles but still eaten by most other species that eat sunflower (the Blue Jays in my yard even seem to prefer it to sunflower). It won't keep them out of the yard, and they might still hang out under the feeder to eat remaining sunflower seeds or the bugs in the hulls, but it should decrease their interest in your feeder.

I can't get too mad at grackles since they're a native species and all, but they can be a nuisance. They do pretty well for themselves in a suburban environment, and I prefer my feeding efforts to go toward species that need a little more help.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back