• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls, North Island, New Zealand (1 Viewer)

lbaia

Hi,

Know nothing about gulls from NZ, so some help appreciated.
Photo taken somewhere in the North Island, November 2006

Thanks
Luis

Attachments

• 20061129_new_zealand_0451.jpg
    20061129_new_zealand_0451.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20061129_new_zealand_0452.jpg
    20061129_new_zealand_0452.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20061129_new_zealand_0453.jpg
    20061129_new_zealand_0453.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20061129_new_zealand_0454.jpg
    20061129_new_zealand_0454.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20061129_new_zealand_0459.jpg
    20061129_new_zealand_0459.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 37
Thanks.
One question though: In some of them the bill is quite bright red, but in others it is very dark, is this due to age difference?

Cheers Andy, wasn't aware of that. Can't keep up with all the taxonomy merry-go-round!!
Yes, Luis, juveniles have a darker, brown, bill.
cheers

We only have three gull species, Red-billed (common thought declining), Black-billed (Endangered Inland gull) and Black-Backed (Common).

You see the odd black-bill at the coast, so I check though gull groups for them when I go places. Where i live though they are common for a few weeks then they leave.

We only have three gull species, Red-billed (common thought declining), Black-billed (Endangered Inland gull) and Black-Backed (Common).

You only have 2 now according to the IOC list which just lumped Red-billed with Silver Gull as mentioned in my previous post.

Andy

You only have 2 now according to the IOC list which just lumped Red-billed with Silver Gull as mentioned in my previous post.

Andy

Sorry, we do have 3, Black-billed gull (Larus bulleri), Red-billed gull (Silver Gull) (Larus novaehollandiae), and Black-backed gull (Larus dominicanus ).

Silver Gull as Red Billed has been the same for a long time!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back