• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plum Island bird sightings (1 Viewer)

nomad

We went to Plum Island in Newburyport Ma. this past weekend. it was beautiful. There time is dedicated to getting the Plover's off the endangered list. That is the reason we did not get onto the shore, because they were nesting and could not be disturbed.

Just a list of what we saw.. it is interesting to me to know who on BF has these birds around and who doesn't. What is so common to some is rare to others. That is why this sight is so cool.
Here's what we saw......
Egrets; great white and blue Herons; a Common Tern; a few double crested Cormorant; Lesser Yellowlegs; a wide variety of Sandpipers; Yellow Warblers; an Osprey with her young; Goldfinches; Chickadees; hundreds of Tree Swallows; a Cedar Waxwing and of course a variety of sparrows and Sea gulls.On this island it is known to see a lot more, But a lot of birds were nesting. I was hoping to see a Kingfisher, but happy at what I did see, even though only a few were rare for me, Waxwing, Osprey,Lesseryellowlegs, and the Tern. I suggest if you are ever in the area you should check it out. They do have lodging.

One bird got us into trouble, One I have not yet identified, All we could see were flashes of monarch orange in the trees, so we followed. It took us off the trails into sections that were temporarily closed. we lost it after we were asked by the island officials to get back on the trails that were OPEN.

It could have been an oriole or a bobolink. Although the last I've only seen in grass/on the ground (although I did see it at Plum Island) so that might be doubtful.

I saw a Glossy Ibis there about 3 weeks ago. Beautiful bird.

The fall migration has stared way up the coast of Maine (relatives who are bird watches told me), so hopefully it will start getting here in full force. I'd love to go there when so many birds are flying through.

Isn't that Osprey nest wonderful?

Eric

I'd go with the Oriole before the Bobolink, as the Bobolink are grassland birds, generally.

I've always heard about Plum Island and Newburyport and would love to visit. The only time I was in the area was on a flying trip with no time to stop and a carful of non-birders. :(

I can see here most of what you saw there, with the exception of all the gull species, of course. We get gulls here, but they are usually the dumpster birds, Ring-Billed and Herrings.

Oriole has my vote as well!
Plum Island is a great birding area, have visited many times and enjoyed the view from the tower watching Merlins winging their way south.
We always stayed near Rockport, our other favorite haunt.
Glad you enjoyed your day!

its a nice spot i hit it my first time about 3 weeks ago... saw about the same list plus and minus a few...one thing i loved was the sandpiper diversity...i saw a white rumped which i had not seen before...also gat a few pictures of egrets and some others...i can wait to hit it again...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back