• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new member on BF (1 Viewer)

woodsman39

hello ladies and gentleman just wanted to thank all the members of this forum for all of the great info i have learned here.I have been putting together a collection of zeiss "classic" series 80's 90's vintage binoculars and the info is a real pleasure to read about.
jeff

hello ladies and gentleman just wanted to thank all the members of this forum for all of the great info i have learned here.I have been putting together a collection of zeiss "classic" series 80's 90's vintage binoculars and the info is a real pleasure to read about.
jeff

Welcome aboard Jeff.
I hope you enjoy your visits here and perhaps you will favour us with a photo or two of your collection.

Lee

Hello Jeff
I share your love of "Classic" Zeiss.
I still have my 10x40 Dialyts from 1986, the guarantee runs out next year, the difinative 7x42 Dialyt (phase corrected), plus a second hand pair of 8x30B porro prisms. The latter are surely the best looking porros ever made?
I have also still have my first serious birdwatching binoculars the Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50 Dekarems, porro prisms with a field of view of 128m @ 1000m or 7.2 degrees.
Look forward to hearing about your collection.

Welcome Jeff - Your Zeiss 8x30 B porros are not only good looking but petite. They were being produced when Zeiss began to lose market to quality Japanese porros. I have never seen a better porro of that generation. Had several but they went to others who really knew more about their quality than I did then. Still have several 8x30B Zeiss monoculars, which of course are just one half of what you have. Had a grown nephew who suddenly lost sight in one eye and found the B model monocular for him. I note that the porro you have now often goes on Ebay for $500 plus. They will keep their value. Interestingly enough the only porro Zeiss still produces is their 7x50 B marine model. I have price lists on Zeiss models, one going back to 1974, when your model was selling for $321.

John

zeiss classic

thank you john,robert,and lee, i am embarrassed to say that i have been so busy working to pay for my "addiction" that i have not had a chance to take some worthy photos but i promise i will.john i do not have a zeiss 8x30 porro i think you were reading roberts reply.but i do have a 7x50 porro BGAT

Hey Jeff. I would be interested in a list of your collection.

I have the same ''addiction'', having picked up many classic Zeiss over the years. My collection now contains an 8x20 BGAT/P, 8x30 B Wide Angle Oberkochen, 8x30 BGAT/P, 10X40 BT Leatherette, 7X42 BGAT/P, 10X56 Night Owl, 10x42 FL, 8X42 HT, 8x32 Conquest HD and a 8x42 Terra ED.

All still operate perfectly and most still see occasional field use.

woodsman 39 current list

james,here is my current list
8X20 B T*P
8X20 BGA P(MARKED"P" ONLY ZEISS CONFIRMS T*)
10X25 B T*P
8X30 BGAT*P
7X42 BGAT*P
7X45 BGAT*P(DESIGN SELECTION)
7X50 BGAT*(MARINE PORRO BLACK)
8X56 BGAT*P
15X60 BGAT*(PORRO)
I AM STILL USING MY FIRST REAL BINOCULAR 10X40 BGAT*P i delivered a lot of newspapers as a young boy to pay for that one and all my friends said i was nuts! UNTILL THEY LOOKED THROUGH IT!!!!!
30X60 BGAT* SPOTTING SCOPE WITH ELECTRIC FOCUS ATTACHMENT

Last edited:
8X20 B T*P
10X25 B T*P
8X30 BGAT*P
7X42 BGAT*P
8X56 BGAT*P
15X60 BGAT*(PORRO)
I AM STILL USING MY FIRST REAL BINOCULAR 10X40 BGAT*P i delivered a lot of newspapers as a young boy to pay for that one and all my friends said i was nuts! UNTILL THEY LOOKED THROUGH IT!!!!!

Wow, great collection!

8X20 B T*P
10X25 B T*P
8X30 BGAT*P
7X42 BGAT*P
8X56 BGAT*P
15X60 BGAT*(PORRO)

Stunning collection Woodsman.
You appear to be attracted to rubber with all the BGATs :-O.
I had a 10x40 Dialyt BGAT for many years but I have to say the leatherette-covered ones did look more elegant.

Lee

I remember I bought a Pentium II 300 MHz for the money I earned as a newspaper delivery boy. Although fun at the time, it hardly had the longevity of a good binocular! ;)

Jeff - Thanks for the list. You had to have some fun putting those together. Now if you could only keep one (1) from the last, which one would it be?

John

i think because i am more of a utility person i fell for the BGA but i do agree the leather shows off the craftsmanship of these fine instruments and with some basic preventive maintenance holds up just as good if not better.I am afraid to post my wish list here for fear of the members already having what i am looking for although i am sure most are not looking to sell.thank god

8X20 B T*P
10X25 B T*P
8X30 BGAT*P
7X42 BGAT*P
8X56 BGAT*P
15X60 BGAT*(PORRO)

Excellent collection and welcome to the Forums.

I too like the Classic series. I've said it before but the Classic's work really well for me. I like the rubber eyecups and slow, precise focusing.

I my collection consists of the
10x40 T*P* (made in 2004)
8x30 B/GA T*P West Germany
8x30 B/GA Safari Dialyt (approx late 1970's)
6x20 B IF

Attached is a picture of my first pair of binoculars, given as a gift at five years old, alongside my Zeiss 8x30 Safari Dialyt. The two binoculars bare a resemblance.

We would love to see pictures of your collection.

Attachments

• 15639696093_71fccb8971_m.jpg
    15639696093_71fccb8971_m.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 69
8X20 B T*P
10X25 B T*P
8X30 BGAT*P
7X42 BGAT*P
8X56 BGAT*P
15X60 BGAT*(PORRO)

What's missing are a couple of the old porros though: 8x30, 8x30B, 8x50B, 10x50 ... :king: But I note you've got what I still think is the best 15x60 ever made, the 15x60 BGAT*. That's an incredible binocular.

Hermann

i agree hermann,on both points,i truly like the porro view and when i have finished with the models i am searching for i will focus on the models you mention.i got that 15x60 BGAT* as a floor demo no box but full paper work and warranty plus a trip to zeiss service to document everything was perfect.i remember seeing that model in the catalogs and dreaming one day i could own one.thank you for your input.
jeff

Berryns. I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Zeiss 6x20b West Germany bins. Tough to find much info on them but I've long been searching for a low powered compact bino. Low powered compact seem to make sense for so many reasons and I find it astounding that currently there are no makers of a 6x20 or 7x20 compact roof binocular.

Can You tell me Your experience with these? Have You compared them to other compact binos? Also, where is the serial number located on the bin?

The other options I've found but have not tried for a low power compact roof are:
Zeiss 6x18 design selection
Leupold / Leica 7x20

Curious if anyone has other recommendations for a high quality 6 or 7 power compact roof? Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back