• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about Canon 350D (1 Viewer)

nharrier

Hello. Just got a Canon digital rebel XT and had a question. Since they don't seem to cover saving images thoroughly in the manual (or maybe they do and it's more than my tired brain can grasp) I thought I'd come here. I installed the software and began shooting pics-fine. After I set it up to my computer and download images, they download fine (in the Canon Camera Window.) Then when I shut the camera off and turn it back on for example and hit the view pics button, (the little arrow under 'jump') is says 'no image.' This could happen whether I've taken one photo or 50. And when I bring up the Canon Camera Window and select download, it says "there are no images in camera or camera folder." I don't really understand. It seems once I download them, they are gone from the camera's memory. Granted, I don't know much about digital cameras or this one specifically, but even my dad's Nikon coolpix 775 (little point and shoot job) doesn't have these problems. I can hook his up to the computer and every single picture I've taken is there everytime unless I delete it from the camera's memory. Do I have to 'protect' every single image I want to save every time??? I have a Mac with OS 10.1.5, I don't know if this has anything to do with anything. Ackk...... Help!

Most software to download has an option to delete the contents of the card after downloading. It looks like this is set by default, try looking through the manual.

PWG said:
Most software to download has an option to delete the contents of the card after downloading. It looks like this is set by default, try looking through the manual.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently, this camera is doing what it is supposed to do. I got that answer from another forum:

"Are the pictures successfully TRANSFERRED to your computer, meaning they are on your hard drive? If so that is what is supposed to happen. They are not left on the compact flash card. If you want them to remain on the card you should use a compact flash card reader, which are very inexpensive, and conduct a copy of the files on the card. This way they will stay on the card if that is what you really want to do.

Another way in lieu of the reader is to simply open up the camera as a storage device in "My Computer". When you plug the camera in to the computer using the supplied cable it should register as another device. Then copy the files.

Most people do not leave the pictures on the card. You can do a search on this forum for 'workflow' threads and you will find tons of info on what others in this forum do."

My main reason for wanting them to be on the flash card is for sending the card in to have them printed out. This way they would be done in a more professional manner than if I were to try to print them on my fairly cheap printer.

You should be able to edit the pictures on your PC (cropping and sharpening etc), then having saved the new versions, copy then back to your card in your camera. Then take the card into the shop.

Your camera (and card) acts just like another drive in your PC - Just move the files onto it just like you would move them around your hard drive or pove to CD etc.

I'd recommend getting a card reader they're very cheap and easy to use. It good because you don't have use the cameras battery power when putting the images onto your PC. It is also easy to put images back ont the memory card (just drag and drop) so you could select the images you want printing (and do any editing) and then put them back onto the card.

I have a Canon 300D which is similar to your rebel. In the software package that you got with the camera, was there a programme called Canon utilities on the cd. I have this and this is all the software needed. The photos from the camera when it is connected via the usb link are downloaded to zoombrowser Ex and automatically saved in my pictures folder if you are running XP os.

If you check and let me know perhaps I could email the software to you if you have broadband. Th ewhole file is 100mb.

Robert

Check pdf

nharrier said:
Hello. Just got a Canon digital rebel XT and had a question. Since they don't seem to cover saving images thoroughly in the manual (or maybe they do and it's more than my tired brain can grasp) I thought I'd come here. I installed the software and began shooting pics-fine. After I set it up to my computer and download images, they download fine (in the Canon Camera Window.) Then when I shut the camera off and turn it back on for example and hit the view pics button, (the little arrow under 'jump') is says 'no image.' This could happen whether I've taken one photo or 50. And when I bring up the Canon Camera Window and select download, it says "there are no images in camera or camera folder." I don't really understand. It seems once I download them, they are gone from the camera's memory. Granted, I don't know much about digital cameras or this one specifically, but even my dad's Nikon coolpix 775 (little point and shoot job) doesn't have these problems. I can hook his up to the computer and every single picture I've taken is there everytime unless I delete it from the camera's memory. Do I have to 'protect' every single image I want to save every time??? I have a Mac with OS 10.1.5, I don't know if this has anything to do with anything. Ackk...... Help!

Check the instruction pdf on the 2nd cd that came with camera. It tells you how to download and save images. It seems to be completely different to the way it worked with my 10D. I corrupted a number of important images that I shot when in the USA with my new 350D by down loading using a card reader, according to the pdf instructions card readers may not work. Read these instruction carefully and follow them, I did this and have not had any more trouble. I use the new software with both cameras. I am back in the USA at the moment and have taken the cable and software with me and download from the camera rather than a card reader. None of these instructions appear to be in the printed manual. Iuse Mac OSX.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back