• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax dcf-sp opinions (1 Viewer)

RATREE

Hello all,

First post here. I've enjoyed the opinions and expertise shared here as well as some truly stunning photography.

I am about to make my first binocular purchase and have narrowed my selection down to two models within the Pentax DCF-SP line.

I'm seeking opinions, both the pros and cons of either the 8x32 or the 8x43 versions. I'm not sure how much light gathering and detail may be given up by the smaller in favour of the weight savings and larger FOV.

Thanks for your insights.
billyratree
bowen island, bc, canada

Though I can't help you much with the 8X32 or 8X43, I do have a 10X50 SP. Very sharp, though not as much contrast as with my Nikon Premier LXL. I believe you would be happy with either binocular, so long as you would not mind:

1. the narrow field of view. (The sp does have a more narrow FOV than the top bins, but you would have to pay twice as much.)

2. the slow focus. (Many persons prefer the slow focus.)

The above said, I have a Nikon Premier 8X32, and I love the little bin, and believe you would really like the Pentax 8X32, with its wider FOV. I really do not see any loss of light, though the 10X50s appear sharper. How much of that additional sharpness is because of the 10-power or because they are 50s, I do not know, but would guess that it is because of the magnification.

Lew

Last edited:
Pentax DCF SP 8x43

Well, i'm a bit later to this post, but I hope I can help You. There is a large article on the web about this model :

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Pentax04/index.html

I can also tell you my impression to this model, as owner.
I own Pentax DCF SP 8x43 (beyond other binoculars) from some months, I like it very much! It is light for a "43" lenses, little and it feel good in my hands. It seems very well planned and constructed, waterproof and nitrogen purged.
It have very great ER (22mm, important for man like me as spectacles wearer). Optical performances very good, natural colors rendition and very bright and sharp; only note 110 meters of FOV (some other brands have better), this may be disappointment for somebody. The last good notice is its price, 600euro in Italy, at this price I think It's a winner!
Regards.

aorlansky said:
I own Pentax DCF SP 8x43 (beyond other binoculars) from some months, I like it very much! It is light for a "43" lenses, little and it feel good in my hands. It seems very well planned and constructed, waterproof and nitrogen purged.
It have very great ER (22mm, important for man like me as spectacles wearer). Optical performances very good, natural colors rendition and very bright and sharp; only note 110 meters of FOV (some other brands have better),[/QUOTE
I use its predecessor DCF 8x42. sharp, bright; holds up very well against used Nikon 10x42HG roof prism. depth of field exceeds Nikon easily;cannot say if my Nikon is below standard. Only Nikon 8x32SE porro in direct comparison was clearly superior but there was a $150 price difference in 2001.
Chhayanat

I have had the opportunity to compare these two configurations of the same bin. As is often the case when comparing 32 vs. 42 mm bins there is a difference in brightness, field of view and overall handling. Many folks choose the 32 mm model because they bird primarily during regular daylight conditions and appreciate its small size. The 42 mm gets chosen often as well because of its better all-around usage...more low light conditions, slightly better resolution, etc.. In essence though I really think it boils down to the individual. One is going to click for you and one isn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back