• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski CL 8x25 vs Zeiss Terra ED 8x25: one more comparison (3 Viewers)

Here you write the AFOV of the Swarovski is bigger. Didn't you mean the Zeiss like JavierV stated? The FOV should be the same, but the AFOV is bigger? at the Zeiss because of the 8,1 power of the Zeiss (on the CL it is 7,8). I don't know if that is true, but I have read that.

Reiner,

Comparing the two again today in response to your question, the AFOV now looks the same. When I originally compared them in response to Javier's post it did seem the AFOV of the SW was slightly larger -- but not today. The SW is slightly brighter again today in good light, but is only seen in direct comparison between the two. The overall optical performance of the Zeiss is very close to the Swarovski. The biggest difference for me is the lighter smoother focus function of the CL makes one handed use noticeably easier if that would be important to you. When using both hands, I prefer the overall handling of the Zeiss.

Mike

A great thread and one which I have followed with interest as I had been considering an 8x25. I have a wonderful pair of Nikon HGL 10x25‘s which have served me so well for the past 20 odd years but I am finding them increasingly difficult to keep steady.

Last month I took advantage of an EBay promotion on the Terra 8x25’s and bought them for £199 and thought them to be excellent. The day after I bought them, a Zeiss trade-in promotion email arrived offering £50 for any old binocular. A £5 pair of Lidl bino’s bought for visiting grandchildren years ago were promptly sent off and £50 was credited making the Terra’s £149. More than a bargain!

But the CL’s, and the new Curio’s, have always been on my radar so when I went to try out some Alpha’s last month I took the £149 Terra’s along with me to test against the £600ish CL/Curio’s. To my utter astonishment they more than held their own. In fact, apart from the build quality which the Swaro’s undoubtedly won, I much preferred the handling and overall view of the Terra’s.

They are cracking little bino’s and irrespective of the massive price difference, I would choose them over the Swaro’s after testing them side by side. They may not be as robust, they may not last as long but they really are lovely to use and suit me perfectly.

It sounds like the CL 8x25 is not really a addition for you, because you already have the Terra and state that the CL is not really better than the Terra. Did you keep the CL? I know you received it as a gift, but I wonder if you have swapped it for a smaller Leica or Curio or maybe intent/tempt doing that.
Hi, Reinier, I have kept my CL because it is a gift and its sentimental value is greater than its real value. However, it has aspects in which it is superior -in my humble opinion- to the zeiss terra. After using both for over a month, I find the following:
The CL is superior in contrast (although contrast is a relative value. For example, I tend to prefer sunglasses with low contrast, because they allow me to see details in the shadow better; similarly, the view through binoculars with too much contrast can make it difficult to distinguish details in shadow, even if at first glance it is more aesthetic and colorful). It's also superior in finish and the focus wheel runs more smoothly. The eyecups are also better.
The Zeiss Terra is better in ergonomics and portability (weight)
Both seem to have the same definition, although the greater contrast in the CL may suggest that it is sharper.
But it's just my opinion

the view through binoculars with too much contrast can make it difficult to distinguish details in shadow
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
This is a note I do not understand. I have also read that the higher the contrast is the more usefull a binocular is in low light? Because the colours will fade and it is the contrast that will pop up shapes in the dark... Am I wrong with this?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
This is a note I do not understand. I have also read that the higher the contrast is the more usefull a binocular is in low light? Because the colours will fade and it is the contrast that will pop up shapes in the dark... Am I wrong with this?
Hi Rainier. Maybe I'm wrong, but, in my experience, increasing the contrast only has an aesthetic benefit (for example, in photographic lenses); but contrast -by definition- increases the difference between light and dark and I don't think that's useful when distinguishing nuances in shadow scenes. It "makes" the scene more aesthetic, but this does not mean that you capture more shapes, leaves, feathers... details in an image. That was in the 1960s, when Asahi Pentax lenses began to be manufactured using lanthanums that increased contrast in black and white photography by yellowing the image, but losing a lot of detail. But...it's just my opinion. Thank's and regards

I just ordered the Zeiss Terra 8x25 online. With this 50 euro cashback it was hard to ignore and justify to buying a CL 8x25. I want to leave it in my jacket pocket if needed. I won't do that with a 700 euro binocular.

I will let you know what my thoughts are when it arrives, although I cannot compare it with another pocket bin.

JavierV.​

Thank you for your original post and the responses too the questions you have replied from other members. I am following this with great interest as I am looking at acquiring a pair of small portable binoculars.

Today I had the opportunity to handle and view Leica Ultravid 8x20 & 10x25. Superb engineered products that are stunning to hold.
Sadly my soon to be 70 year old eyes are my downfall. I wear Varifocal/Progressive lens eye glasses all the time. They only come off when I go to sleep

Hopefully 8x25 size will suit me and the Zeiss VP, Swarovski CL will be sought out for a side by side comparison. Interestingly Zeiss offer a two day home trail in the UK via their Try the Zeiss programme. Could not find out if Swarovski offer something similar.

David

JavierV.​

Thank you for your original post and the responses too the questions you have replied from other members. I am following this with great interest as I am looking at acquiring a pair of small portable binoculars.

Today I had the opportunity to handle and view Leica Ultravid 8x20 & 10x25. Superb engineered products that are stunning to hold.
Sadly my soon to be 70 year old eyes are my downfall. I wear Varifocal/Progressive lens eye glasses all the time. They only come off when I go to sleep

Hopefully 8x25 size will suit me and the Zeiss VP, Swarovski CL will be sought out for a side by side comparison. Interestingly Zeiss offer a two day home trail in the UK via their Try the Zeiss programme. Could not find out if Swarovski offer something similar.

David

David,

Here's hoping you find a "pocket" model that works for you with your glasses. For context I am 68 &1 /2 years old and like to be able to use bins with or without glasses. As you have likely read, many experienced members here report the VP 8x25 works better with glasses than without. They are perfect for me either way. The SW 8x25 are also excellent in this regard.

Not to confuse the issue but you may want to add the Curio 7x21 to your list for comparison. Three mm EP and as a practical matter just as compact as the UV 8x20 with a much wider FOV. Looking forward to your observations.

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

The journey I am on to find a (pocketable) binocular is proving a revelation to me personally.
The reason I say this is simply the overwhelming support and messages that reflect the camaraderie of the members on this site.

I am on a learning curve and I appreciate everyone’s personal input. For this I am grateful. In time I hope to contribute to further.

Thank you one and all for your help.

Cheers
David

David,

Here's hoping you find a "pocket" model that works for you with your glasses. For context I am 68 &1 /2 years old and like to be able to use bins with or without glasses. As you have likely read, many experienced members here report the VP 8x25 works better with glasses than without. They are perfect for me either way. The SW 8x25 are also excellent in this regard.

Not to confuse the issue but you may want to add the Curio 7x21 to your list for comparison. Three mm EP and as a practical matter just as compact as the UV 8x20 with a much wider FOV. Looking forward to your observations.

Mike
Mike, I have narrowed down to two contenders. The Leica Ultravid 8x20 and Curio 7x21. The 8x20 I tried was an amazing price of engineering, small, light and superb quality. However I did struggle to use it with the eye glasses on ( something that I should be able to master with usage) the Curio I hadn’t been able to locate one so I can see it in the flesh. The places near I have called are awaiting stock.

Mike, I have narrowed down to two contenders. The Leica Ultravid 8x20 and Curio 7x21. The 8x20 I tried was an amazing price of engineering, small, light and superb quality. However I did struggle to use it with the eye glasses on ( something that I should be able to master with usage) the Curio I hadn’t been able to locate one so I can see it in the flesh. The places near I have called are awaiting stock.

David,

Glad to hear you found the UV 8x20 impressive. IMO yes you can likely master use with glasses after some practice. As always if possible try to compare side by side with the Curio. As others advise elsewhere, in the long run you will probably be more pleased with and get more use out of the one that handles better overall for you. Each delivers an outstanding image for such a small bin and some prefer an 8x to a 7x or vice versa which is why I think handling is more important than a slight preference for one image or the other. Keep us posted.

Mike

Used both (terra 8x25 and CL 8x25) side by side at same time at December 2022. And my opinion based on my two examples.

Terra better in:
1. Central Sharpness and Resolution (tested on grids of a brick walls, numbers on the cars, price tags in shops from large range). Terra more poison-sharp, but CL more milky-smoothed.
2. Glare Control.
3. Contrast and Colours saturation (Terra has a little warmer image, more colourful view. Overall tint white with a little-little pinkness. While CL more cold-greenish tint with pale colours).
4. A tiny more zoomy (at my eyes).

CL better in:
1. Body overall (with no dispute and doubt).
2. Brightness in the dark (by a 5-10% (max)).
3. Sharpness on sides and borders.
4. Ease of view with MOLCET-technigue.

I didnt test the VP 8x25, but i suppose that these are optically best 8x25 on market right now.

Also i tested side by side Leica UV BR 8x20 and Nikon HG L DCF 8x20, and with upper results i can summary tell next:

Body:
CL = UV => HGLDCF > Terra

Brightness (between cl and terra almost none):
CL => Terra > UV = HGLDCF

Glare control:
Terra >> CL = hgldcf = uv

Night view (cl only a bit-bit-bit brighter than terra; uv better than dcf only because of “ghost-glows” from lanterns on streets in dcf):
CL => terra > uv > hgldcf.

Ease of view with molcet-technics (in most cases i using it):
CL => Terra > Dcf > UV (leica pretty finicky).

FOV:
CL = Terra = Dcf >> UV

Edge to Edge sharpness:
CL => UV = DCF > Terra

Contrast (colour saturation. Leica has vivid colours):
UV > Terra > CL = Dcf

Central Resolution (between dcf and terra minimal):
Dcf => Terra > UV = CL

Overall Sharpness (resolution + contrast):
Terra => Dcf > UV => CL

Focus Depht:
Terra => CL = UV = DCF

TINTS, colour reproduction and PLACES overall:

1. Terra - white with a bit pinky tint (almost natural and neutral) with a bit-bit more brighter colours than real. For me it is “N1” 8x25 (before compared with VP 8x25) - none significant weaknesses and good in every aspect, especially in overall sharpness and colours. Low price for high optical quality. Real gem and diamond.

2. Hg L Dcf - yellow warm tint with colours with real brightness. For me it “N2” and definitely optically better than Leica uv 8x20 (more fov, better resolution, easier of view, better eyecups) - excellent resolution, good “edge-to-edge”, best eyecups, ease of view with “molcet” (for 8x20) - for price just a bit more expensive than terra. Weaknesses: ghost lights in darkness; non rubber on body; plastic upper part of the bridge. Another little diamond.

3. Swaro CL - cold-greenish tint with a more pale colours than real. Best quality of body, best brightness (not for much). But overall i dont think it worth its price, cuz for that money you can buy Terra+HgLDcf or VP 8x25 (that better overall). I had CL, sold it and saved my Terra and Dcf.

4. UV 8x20 - orange-reddish warm tint with vivid saturated colours. I didnt like these 8x20 almost at all: worst fov, ease of view and glare control (glare not by much, but anyway) - these cons killing my desire to use regularly, so thats why i sold it and instead of it saved my little beloved Dcf.

Everything that i wrote is just only opinion of mine and my eyes.

With respect…

JavierV.​

David
I had a very similar experience with the Leica Ultravid 8x20 . The build quality is excellent and they are truly pocketable . Because I wear progressive glasses that correct astigmatism I could never get along with the Leica, I found them to be fiddly at best .

Attachments

• Ultravid.JPG
    Ultravid.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 13
Hola JavierV. If my Spanish were as excellent as your English I'd have emigrated to sunny southertn Spain ages ago. And thank you for that appraisal - I have been looking at those Zeiss for years, and I have never pulled the trigger. Now that I have a Curio I probably won't either, but this comparison made interesting reading nonetheless.

I had a very similar experience with the Leica Ultravid 8x20 . The build quality is excellent and they are truly pocketable . Because I wear progressive glasses that correct astigmatism I could never get along with the Leica, I found them to be fiddly at best .
I tried the Zeiss 8x25 for an extended period over two days. They are good but won’t fit into the “501 front pocket test”
I then tried the Curio 7x21 against the Ultravid 8x20. The curios won me over within 30 mins I knew what I was going purchase. It helped that I had both binoculars for two days.
The curios are amazing. I have ordered two pairs. One has arrived the other is on back order that one will be in the car.
In fact I will probably move my Zeiss 8x32 on as the Curio for me are that good. David

I tried the Zeiss 8x25 for an extended period over two days. They are good but won’t fit into the “501 front pocket test”
I then tried the Curio 7x21 against the Ultravid 8x20. The curios won me over within 30 mins I knew what I was going purchase. It helped that I had both binoculars for two days.
The curios are amazing. I have ordered two pairs. One has arrived the other is on back order that one will be in the car.
In fact I will probably move my Zeiss 8x32 on as the Curio for me are that good. David

Hare,

Did you take advantage of your decision by ordering one in black and the other in orange? Now that would be a riot!

Mike

Hare,

Did you take advantage of your decision by ordering one in black and the other in orange? Now that would be a riot!

Mike
Mike. I did think about it, but no, two black (anthracite). Scratches can be covered with a black permanent marker pen.
David

I have the 8x25 Cl Pocket Mountain and the 10x25 Pocket Mountain binos and for me they handle as well as full size binos which was not the case with Zeiss and Leica compact binoculars. I gave the 8x25 to my wife and I use the 10x25 with the extra magnification being very helpful in low light situations to distinguish detail in subjects.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back