• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Internet connection problem (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Laptop crashes wireless router

I am trying to sort out a problem for a niece of mine. They have a wireless internet set-up which works great with an Ipad and my laptop but every time her Windows7 laptop tries to connect the router crashes - just after you log on and the desktop appears the router light immediate turns red and crashes. I have tried hep laptop at my house in and connects no problem. Anyone have any ideas?
BTW I have scanned and cleaned her laptop with malwarebytes, superantispyware, AVG 2012 and Eusing reg cleaner and it is clean.

Last edited:
Is there a difference if her laptop is the only machine that is on versus if another e.g., the ipad is on first?

Is her laptop set for automatically aquiring IP address or trying to use a fixed IP address?

Niels

Is there a difference if her laptop is the only machine that is on versus if another e.g., the ipad is on first?

Is her laptop set for automatically aquiring IP address or trying to use a fixed IP address?

Niels
Hi again Niels - No difference if the Ipad is on or not - if the ipad is on as soon as the laptop tries to connect it crashes the router. Same thing happens when the ipad is not connected. I am still on XP so not to familiar with windows7 but I have checked and it is auto set to connect to the home network with the correct network name and password - it says it is connected even after the router has crashed.

Hi again Niels - No difference if the Ipad is on or not - if the ipad is on as soon as the laptop tries to connect it crashes the router. Same thing happens when the ipad is not connected. I am still on XP so not to familiar with windows7 but I have checked and it is auto set to connect to the home network with the correct network name and password - it says it is connected even after the router has crashed.

Roy,
Can I ask which web browser you are trying to connect with?
Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari?

If you are using IE, try connecting with ( no add ons )
Start - All programs - Accessories - System tools - Internet Explorer ( no add ons).
Let us know how you get on

Hi Roy,
Random thoughts ......
Is her router oldish, I was thinking a firmware update could be needed for it, assumeing the maker has one.
Is there any chance of trying another W7 machine on it ??

Have you tried the lappy hardwired to the router, if so does it still crash ??

Heres another thought, I remember yonks ago seeing a similar problem.
To fix it we turned the IPV6 off on the computer.
The modem was an ol dunger got the person running again till they could get a new router.
Did a Google to find out how to do it in W&
"Open Network and Sharing Center, Select Connections, Uncheck IPV6"
Could be worth a try.

Hi, also ment to mention the network adaptor drivers could have got themselves corrupt.
But seeing as the puta works at your place probably not.
Check in Device Manager.

Also ment to ask if the machine has previously worked with this router or is it a new puta or router ??

Also any recent Microsoft update, not unknown to bugger a working system !!

Roy,
Can I ask which web browser you are trying to connect with?
Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari?

If you are using IE, try connecting with ( no add ons )
Start - All programs - Accessories - System tools - Internet Explorer ( no add ons).
Let us know how you get on
Thanks, I have tried both IE and Chrome but the router crashes before you even try to get on the web (it must be auto picking-up the network).

Hi Roy,
Random thoughts ......
Is her router oldish, I was thinking a firmware update could be needed for it, assumeing the maker has one.
Is there any chance of trying another W7 machine on it ??

Have you tried the lappy hardwired to the router, if so does it still crash ??

Heres another thought, I remember yonks ago seeing a similar problem.
To fix it we turned the IPV6 off on the computer.
The modem was an ol dunger got the person running again till they could get a new router.
Did a Google to find out how to do it in W&
"Open Network and Sharing Center, Select Connections, Uncheck IPV6"
Could be worth a try.
It should be a new router Grahame has she switched ISP not too long ago and this is the router they supplied, I am fairly sure she said it happened with the previous ISP as well (which is apparently why they switch but I did not know anything about it) It must be some config on the laptop I would have thought.
I have done a quick Google and apparently it is a common problem with Windows7 laptops crashing the router - I will try to work through all the suggested remedies.

Thanks for the responses guys - I am going out today and wire it up to the router with an Ethernet cable which should work until a wireless solution can be found.

As an update I had a quick look at the laptop and network this morning - I set the laptop so it does not try to connect to the network and yet the very second you log onto the laptop it crashes the router... frustrating.

Hi Roy,
I use a netgear router and have at times had it running with one desktop on cable connection and two Win7 laptops connected at the same time and never experienced a similar crash.

Just a stray throught: does her laptop try to use bluetooth connections? could the router be sensitive to that?

Niels

I set the laptop so it does not try to connect to the network and yet the very second you log onto the laptop it crashes the router... frustrating.
Thats an understatement !!!!

Can we assume the ethenet cable works OK ??

I'd be having a good look at the network adapter, even if it's showing as OK in device manager a driver uninstall reinstall wouldn't go amiss.

W7 has a network diagnostic feature that wasn't in XP.
Heres a couple of reads for you, it may provide you with a new approach to the prob.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Network-Diagnostics-Tracing-Windows-7.html

http://www.guidingtech.com/7532/repair-network-windows-7-diagnostic/

Happy sleuthing.

Thats an understatement !!!!

Can we assume the ethenet cable works OK ??

I'd be having a good look at the network adapter, even if it's showing as OK in device manager a driver uninstall reinstall wouldn't go amiss.

W7 has a network diagnostic feature that wasn't in XP.
Heres a couple of reads for you, it may provide you with a new approach to the prob.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Network-Diagnostics-Tracing-Windows-7.html

http://www.guidingtech.com/7532/repair-network-windows-7-diagnostic/

Happy sleuthing.
Thanks Graheme, I will have a read. No the ethernet cable did not work as the laptop still crashed the router when you logged on.

It's an interesting one so have been having a bit of a Google around.

One thing I have found mentioned in several places is UPnP causing this.
The theory goes along the lines of the media center in W7 uses UPnp to connect to other devices.
When the puta connects to the router it floods it with requests looking for "toys" to connect to.
Turning of UPnP in the computer and or the router solves the problem.
Most seem to turn it off in the router.
That should be doable via the Ipad.

To turn it of in W7
"click Start
Type "services.msc" into the search box (without the quotes)
hit enter
In the services list, find "UPnP Device Host"
Double click it to open the properties panel.
Select "stop" then "disable".
Done."

Have seen the turning of the IPV6 in a few places as well, as mentioned above.

Interesting mystery.

It's an interesting one so have been having a bit of a Google around.

One thing I have found mentioned in several places is UPnP causing this.
The theory goes along the lines of the media center in W7 uses UPnp to connect to other devices.
When the puta connects to the router it floods it with requests looking for "toys" to connect to.
Turning of UPnP in the computer and or the router solves the problem.
Most seem to turn it off in the router.
That should be doable via the Ipad.

To turn it of in W7
"click Start
Type "services.msc" into the search box (without the quotes)
hit enter
In the services list, find "UPnP Device Host"
Double click it to open the properties panel.
Select "stop" then "disable".
Done."

Have seen the turning of the IPV6 in a few places as well, as mentioned above.

Interesting mystery.
Grahame, I appreciate your help - I have not had access to the laptop today but hopefully I will get it tomorrow and have a go.

Just an update, I have now checked the router via my own laptop and UPnp is not enabled - I also tried disabling it in the windows 7 laptop but still no go. I have also tried turning off IPV6 and still no good. All the routers drivers/firmware are all up to date.
Last thing I did today was to connect the laptop wired but the split second you got onto the log-in screen the router crashed.
As previously said my laptop (XP) and a Ipad work no problem with the router.

What a nightmare Roy. I've no idea what all the techie talk is about, but I'm wondering if you've tried swapping routers, i.e. using hers in your house and vice versa?

I know her laptop is OK with your router in your house, but does it still crash if you use your router in her house?

Is it possible to do this? Anyway... just a thought.

Hi Roy,
Trying a router swap was my next thought also, if easy.
But basically sounds like it's time to hassle the ISP if thats a new router provided as part of the connection.
A Repair OS install, maybe ...
But sounds like a hardware problem ...an oddball one ...
Both parts work but don't want to play togeather.
Keep us informed.

Roy, an interesting problem, contrary to other comments on here I do not think it is a hardware problem but more likely a software issue.

Windows 7 has had a lot of compatibility issues with software so many in fact one has to download patches to address the problem. Contact your niece's ISP and ask them do they have connection problems with Win 7, look on their website for support and/or downloads. Enquire if there is a firmware update and possibly replace the router for a later version.

Robert

PS sorry that this late as you may have now resolved the problem.

Roy, an interesting problem, contrary to other comments on here I do not think it is a hardware problem but more likely a software issue.

Windows 7 has had a lot of compatibility issues with software so many in fact one has to download patches to address the problem. Contact your niece's ISP and ask them do they have connection problems with Win 7, look on their website for support and/or downloads. Enquire if there is a firmware update and possibly replace the router for a later version.

Robert

PS sorry that this late as you may have now resolved the problem.
Thanks for that Robert - I have tried all sorts but to no avail BUT she will be moving houses shortly so will have to sort out another broadband connection so we will now wait until she moves.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back