• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with read only setting (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Problem (for now at least) solved

Dear all,
we have a problem with a Win 10 laptop. On this laptop there are two harddisks; the secondary disk at one time was a primary disk but a different disk was put in. On the disk that is now D, there is a "pictures" folder with a lot of photos in it. The problem is that the system think it is a read only folder. When I unclick that and hit apply, it goes through the motions and initially after it looks right - but when trying to do anything, it again says the folder is read only.

On the same disk, I made a new folder just below the root - this is also marked as read only - even though I succeeded in removing that folder again afterwards.

On the C-drive there is a different folder also labeled "pictures" - also that folder is marked read only, and trying to remove the read only does not change anything in a lasting way.

All of this is when opening the laptop in an account which is "local account, administrator". Going in through the second account which is also administrator does not change a thing: it is still not possible to remove read only with a lasting effect.

Win10 scanning of the disks report no errors. Win defender is active. Malwarebytes scanning sees no problems.

What can we do to make this functional again?
thanks
Niels

Last edited:
I would copy the files to a backup device and, if nothing is installed on D, I would format the drive D.
Everything will be lost on drive D.
It is bold but easy.

Is not clear why the "read-only" must be changed. What is wrong with read-only situation?

Last edited:
I would copy the files to a backup device and, if nothing is installed on D, I would format the drive D.
Everything will be lost on drive D.
It is bold but easy.

Is not clear why the "read-only" must be changed. What is wrong with read-only situation?
That for example, I cannot make a new folder within the folder, and the photo editing program needs to be able to save changes into the folders or subfolders.

Niels

Edit:
"On the same disk, I made a new folder just below the root - this is also marked as read only - even though I succeeded in removing that folder again afterwards."
This is normal and it is not an obstacle to work inside the folder. I would not stress about it.
You can remove the attribute R of the folder (using command prompt or PowerShell) but this does not change the behavior described.
You can try the second part of the solution suggested by THE_FERN
Same as here

Content before update:
That for example, I cannot make a new folder within the folder, and the photo editing program needs to be able to save changes into the folders or subfolders.
A big problem, indeed.
I cannot reproduce it on my laptop with Windows 10 Home edition (working with administrator rights).
Can you "move" the files in other folder on D drive under D: ? A new folder you created.
And work there? The photo editing program must be configurable, I think?

Last edited:
Thanks both. I tried several of the things mentioned in the link given by Fern without any luck. I also noticed the thing about updates in general an looked there. There were no recent updates to blame, but a major update had NOT been installed on this pc (21H2) so I chose to install it. That seems to have changed something so that the unclicking of read only actually was applied. Thereafter, I was able to make a subfolder and to copy files into it. Now I just hope it stays that way.
Niels

A suggestion if you are still having an issue with this. Occasionally I've had similar issues when moving a drive from one machine to another. For persistant problems right click on the folder and select Properties. Then Security, and then 'Advanced'. On the advanced dialog check who the 'Owner' of directory is. If it is a load gobble-de-gook change it to yourself, check the permissions on the form too and all should be fine.

Problem (for now at least) solved

Dear all,
we have a problem with a Win 10 laptop. On this laptop there are two harddisks; the secondary disk at one time was a primary disk but a different disk was put in. On the disk that is now D, there is a "pictures" folder with a lot of photos in it. The problem is that the system think it is a read only folder. When I unclick that and hit apply, it goes through the motions and initially after it looks right - but when trying to do anything, it again says the folder is read only.

On the same disk, I made a new folder just below the root - this is also marked as read only - even though I succeeded in removing that folder again afterwards.

On the C-drive there is a different folder also labeled "pictures" - also that folder is marked read only, and trying to remove the read only does not change anything in a lasting way.

All of this is when opening the laptop in an account which is "local account, administrator". Going in through the second account which is also administrator does not change a thing: it is still not possible to remove read only with a lasting effect.
While I was looking for a solution to this problem, I completely forgot about my essay in college. It's good that the Persuasive Essay Writing Service Online - Edusson.com service provides a persuasive essay writer who helps with homework. It was like a mountain off my shoulders when I saw that my work was ready on time and perfectly written!
Win10 scanning of the disks report no errors. Win defender is active. Malwarebytes scanning sees no problems.

What can we do to make this functional again?
thanks
Niels
Since the topic was recently updated, I will add my idea.
You can try to disable the read-only attribute with command prompt. Open Command Prompt as an administrator by searching for "Command Prompt," right-clicking on it, and selecting "Run as administrator." In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and press Enter: attrib -r +s C:\path\to\folder
Replace "C:\path\to\folder" with the actual path to the folder you want to remove the read-only attribute from.

Following the typical route offered on the forum in other subfora (OP who is looking for advice on Vixen bino, is told to buy a Swaro) I would suggest moving away from Wintel and using some flavour of Linux, because with that YOU are in full control of everything and not some twat in silicone valley whom you can't ever contact in situations like yours.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back