• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nicaraguan Tropical Dry Forest (1 Viewer)

SueO

We are moored at the Marina Puesta Del Sol (setting of the sun) in Northwestern Nicaragua. It's a beautiful spot and I am really enjoying my walks in this unique eco-system. I posted a blog post my Birding Aboard Peregrine blog if you want to see a few photos. Here is a bird list for the last three days.
Bird List:
*Lifers
Brown Pelicans
Magnificent Frigatebird
Green Heron
Snowy Egret
Great Egret
Tri-colored Heron
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture
Peregrine Falcon
Spotted Sandpiper
Royal Tern
Black Tern
Laughing Gull
White-winged Dove
Inca Dove
Common Ground Dove
Parakeets flew over several times, don't know which species
Lesser Ground Cuckoo*
Grove-billed Ani
Cinnamon Hummingbird*
Black-headed Trogon*
Turquoise-browed Motmot*
Ringed Kingfisher
Hoffman's Woodpecker*
Barred Antshrike
Tropical Kingbird
Tropical Pewee??
Great Kiskadee
Social Flycatcher
Yellow-bellied Elaenia
Common Tody-Flycatcher
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Handful of other as yet unidentified Flycatchers
Rose-throated Becard*
Barn Swallow
Mangrove Swallow
White-throated Magpie-Jay
White-lored Gnatcatcher*
Rufous-naped Wren
Banded Wren*
Clay-colored Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Tropical Mockingbird
Yellow Warbler
Mangrove Yellow Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat*
Ovenbird
Scrub Euphonia*
Blue-gray Tanager
Grayish Saltator? Saw for a split second and off it went. Would have been a lifer if I had seen it well--pretty sure that's what it was though.
Painted Bunting*
Blue-black Grassquit
Stripe-headed Sparrow
House Sparrow
Great-tailed Grackle
Melodius Blackbird*
Altamira Oriole*
Spot-breasted Oriole*
Baltimore or?? Saw female for the blink of an eye.

Some lovely photos, Sue.
Hi H,
Thanks for visiting my blog. The officials couldn't get here till late so we are leaving Nicaragua tomorrow morning about 5:30 a.m with the proper tide. Terrible that I had to have another birding day here. ;)

I got another lifer on my way to the showers this morning: White-collared Seedeater.
All the Best,
Sue

Cor... you know how to make a girl jealous Sue;)

What a beautiful collection of birds you've seen - just make the most of the extra time you have there.

I very much enjoyed reading your blog, Sue. You have seen a fabulous selection of birds. Lovely!

Hi Delia and Kits,
Sorry this reply is so long in coming. Delia--I saw that you made a comment when I checked BF for the last time as we were leaving Nicaragua early in the morning. I didn't have time to respond--the lines were already cast and Gene was backing out of the slip.
Thank-you both for dropping in on the blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it Kits. Delia, I'm not sure if you would be jealous if you knew what I go through to see those birds. 3:) One tiny example of my daily life is my shower. It is a litre water bottle with ice-pick holes in the cap. I get to sit out in the cock-pit and wash down with a baby wipe and hold the 'shower' as I scrub. In the tropics that's not so bad, but it was hell when we were underway though Italy and Spain. Cold! (even when I heat the water in the kettle first) The baby wipe only gets a brush of soap because any more than that would take too much water to rinse it off. We carry 40 gallons in the tank and another 20 in jerry jugs so we have to be careful about use. I'm looking forward to being a live-ashore again.;) Soon, very soon.
Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back