• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (14 Viewers)

Very windy out there this morning...

No sign of the wheatear today, but a sand martin was a suitable replacement. No other summer migs, but still plenty of redwing and the odd fieldfare around. A great skua went north through greyhope bay too, where there was a wigeon in with the eiders.

Still windy and wet out there, and the migrants keep on coming. At least 4 chiffchaff and two willow warbler dotted around today (but mainly at Nigg Bay), with small numbers of redwing, fieldfare and goldcrest too.

Plenty of migrants around this morning, with 2 each of willow and chiff, and 3 each of sand martin, wheatear and sandwich tern.

There was a 3cy Iceland gull in the harbour too. Which was nice.

Not so much going on this morning - wheatear numbers were up to 8, dotted around at various parts of the headland, and a shelduck went south over the walled garden. Large numbers of herring gulls around over the last few days too.

Pretty quiet today. I had my first swallow of the year on Victoria road, but that was it for interesting migrants. Sea watching was slightly more fun, with a couple of puffin south and a Manx shearwater north.

I was thinking I wouldn't see any migrants at all today, but eventually I managed a few. A Bar-tailed Godwit was on Greyhope Bay but three Long-tailed Ducks and a Red-breasted Merganser were about the only other birds of note until I got to Nigg Bay. There, at least five Sand Martins were around the bank on the south side. At least one Willow Warbler was singing around the water treatment works. I thought there weren't going to be any Wheatears, but then one popped up in St Fittick's marsh.

Other developments: there's a bright shiny new fence on the Skate's Nose, which may be good news for fans of the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser. The Purps haven't been roosting there very much during the winter because of the increased disturabance after the old fence was destroyed in a storm. Nearby was the rather unsettling sight of a dead fox along the north bank path. I wonder what happened there.

Oh, and I've got a new camera, which I was playing with today hence...
1. Wheatear
2. Long-tailed Duck
3. Linnet
4. Rock Pipit
5. Turnstone
The local ringers have been busy, you'll note.

Attachments

• Wheatear_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    Wheatear_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 54
  • LT Duck_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    LT Duck_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Linnet_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    Linnet_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Rock Pipit_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    Rock Pipit_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 73
  • Turnstone_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    Turnstone_Girdle Ness_200413a.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 75
Did a bit of gramping today - and finally saw some common migrants. 6+ Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Swallow & Sand Martin. On my way home I passed through Nigg Bay where there were 3 Wheatears, 2 nice bright males & a female that was getting a hammering from a Skylark wherever she went - not seen this before! In the bay 6 LT Ducks and a couple of RT Diver.

Gramping still slow today, although 2 drake Wheatear on t'hill were nice and a Rook seemed to come in off, seems to be a bit of a feature of local corvid watching?

Passing through Nigg Bay tonight a female wheatear was along the gravel path.

Gramping still slow today, although 2 drake Wheatear on t'hill were nice and a Rook seemed to come in off, seems to be a bit of a feature of local corvid watching?

Passing through Nigg Bay tonight a female wheatear was along the gravel path.

Funnily enough I had my first 'Torry Rook' of the year today, out of my front window on Victoria Road. At the weekend I had a pair of Jackdaws that seemed to come in off. Wouldn't have minded a better look at them!

Still a bit wintry in Torry today with hardly any more migrants than last week. The only new one for the year list was a Whimbrel going north. Otherwise there were eight Red-throated Divers, two Red-breasted Mergansers, three Teal and four Long-tailed Duck. The only Wheatear was a female in Nigg Bay and I didn't see any hirundines all day.

I spent a good few hours on both thursday and friday at the ness, but with very little reward! common tern (thursday) and collared dove (friday) were highlights.

A bit better this morning, with highlights being a whitethroat singing along the railway embankment, and best of all, 2 little tern bombing north past the foghorn.

A bit more like spring today with a few more migrants around. Some totals included 14 Willow Warblers (very numerous around the waterworks), 10 Swallows, two Sand Martins, two Common Whitethroats and six Wheatears. A Lesser Whitethroat showed quite well in the willows around the waterworks. Also in that area were a Reed Bunting, two Long-tailed Tits and two Grey Wagtails. Two Whimbrel went north overhead and another was heard from the Coo. Two Long-tailed Ducks were still in the harbour and 40 Purple Sandpipers were on Greyhope Bay. Large numbers of commoner seabirds were feeding just offshore and these attracted the attention of a Bonxie and, rather more distantly, an Arctic Skua.

Having a new camera means I can get great shots of loads of birds. I still get bad shots too though, like this one of the Lesser Whitethroat.

Attachments

• Lesser Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_040513a.jpg
    Lesser Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_040513a.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Generally less happening today, in the rather warm weather. Lots of dolphin activity, which seemed to be attracting numerous photographers. Bird stuff included nine Common Scoters, six Long-tailed Ducks and five Wheatears. Quite good numbers of Sandwich Terns were about but otherwise the sea was a bit subdued.

Here are some pictures, which are slight improvement on yesterday's.

1. Sandwich Tern
2. Sand Martin
3. Willow Warbler

Attachments

• Sandwich Tern_Girdle Ness_050513a.jpg
    Sandwich Tern_Girdle Ness_050513a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Sand Martin_Girdle Ness_050513a.jpg
    Sand Martin_Girdle Ness_050513a.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_050513a.jpg
    Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_050513a.jpg