• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bonelli's Eagle (Spain) (1 Viewer)

richardcav

Hi, just thought I would share with you a place that I have found in Spain, its a B&B finca, tucked away in the moutains behind Crevillente (Costa Blanca). On the opposite cliff face can be seen (at the right time of year of course) a breeding pair of Bonelli's Eagles.

Their web site address is http://www.fincabonelliseagle.es if you fancy having a look at their setup.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard.

Met Colin and Jane this summer as they are friends of a friend who lives out there now. I could not recommend their hospitality more highly. We went for a couple of meals with them and it was idylic sitting on the Finca terrace watching the Bonellis family flying around the cliffs opposite....along with hundreds of Alpine Swifts, Crag Martin, Black Wheatear, Blue Rockthrush just around the finca and the sound of Red necked Nightjar and Scops Owl calling after dark!

The whole area is ideal for a birding holiday as its close to many good sites! Hondo, La Mata etc are just down the road!

Cheers

Sounds a great place. Spain is very lucky to have such a number of sites for Bonellis. Perhaps the most important area in the world is around the Serrania de Ronda where you can find the highest known density of breeding pairs. With so many people flying into the area i.e. Malaga, Jerez, Sevilla and Gib, then the area is a must visit for many species and especially Bonelli's Eagle.

I don't know the site you mention, but I'm sure it must be as good as you say. The only thing I would like to say is please be careful about giving too much information about raptor nesting sites in forums or on the internet.
It seems incredible in this day and age that such a warning should be issued, but those underworld egg collectors and nest purgers still exist. And they often go to great extremes to obtain their ill-gotten gains.
Going into bird forum, searching "bonelli's eagle" and "nest" would give them a pretty good indication of at least one site. The flights, the strategy and the climbing gear might not be far behind.
You might call me a scaremonger, but mention of nests is one thing I deliberately tried to avoid in my book "Where the birds are in northeast Spain". For Bonelli's Eagles it should be enough to say that they can be seen flying over the cliffs with certain regularity, or something similar. Let the imagination or even local (not global) knowledge do the rest.
Happy birding.
Steve
http://www.birdinginspain.com

Oooops.

Actually disregard my post, I lied. It is the worse possible place on earth for you know what! :C

So otherwise I have to agree with Steve (why didn't I think to say that Steve?).

nuff said,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back